WNY News Now Moving To Remote Production Following Positive COVID Test

first_imgWNY News Now’s Justin Gould anchoring our daily ‘News Now @Noon’ broadcast. File photo.App users, tap here to watch the video interview.JAMESTOWN – WNY News Now News Director Justin Gould says that he found out Thursday morning that he’s tested positive for COVID-19, less than 24 hours after being tested at Jones Memorial Hospital. The announcement came after his girlfriend, McKenzie, received a positive test Wednesday evening. Gould says he wanted to share his status with the community in an effort to provide transparency throughout the process, including the precautions that the he and the WNY News Now staff have taken to minimize the spread of the virus.Gould explains that his girlfriend started exhibiting symptoms of the virus over the weekend, which resulted in her getting tested. Gould, himself, started to experience symptoms earlier this week, which ranged from a “tickle” in the throat, to a temporary loss of taste as well as cold symptoms. “Both of us are doing well, minus general cold symptoms,” Gould told me Thursday. “A lot of people say what separates COVID from a cold can be loss of taste, without a stuffy nose. This morning I have a stuffy nose. Last night I didn’t have a stuffy nose, and it was within an hours time, my taste faded. I was busy working on my computer here, and then I went to eat dinner and I couldn’t taste anything, and at that point, I had a pretty good suspicion I was going to test positive.”Gould is the first person to be exclusively interviewed by WNY News Now after receiving a positive COVID-19 diagnosis. I asked him to guide us through the emotions that he and his girlfriend were experiencing after receiving the diagnosis.“It is upsetting. Very upsetting,” Gould said. “Last night, when my girlfriend learned she tested positive, we were both pretty upset, mainly because with PPE and precautions that we’ve taken, we like many other people, are out in the community. And we’re very concerned for the loved ones that we’re in contact with. It’s not so much we are concerned for us because we are young and healthy and, thank God, right now our symptoms are mild, but our concerns were for other people.”The News Director says that he began the transition of working from home Tuesday afternoon in preparation of a positive test for himself, as well as his girlfriend. Gould additionally details how he worked remotely from home that evening as WNY News Now provided live coverage of the 2020 Chautauqua County election night.Gould explains that his contagious period is considered to have begun on Monday, according to information that he’s received from contract tracers.At the start of the pandemic, WNY News Now implemented sanitation, social distancing and other CDC guidelines for the staff when working for the company, whether it’d be in or out of the newsroom.Gould did wear extra PPE Monday and Tuesday as he transitioned to working from home.“As essential workers, we still go into work, but I’m still very much afraid for you guys, (others who work in the newsroom) all of you, because I don’t want us to have bad side effects of it,” Gould said. “And it’s not even so much I think about us, but I think about the people that we’ve come into contact with. That’s what was going through my mind.”A journalist who is writing a story very rarely uses the words “I” or “Me” in their articles, simply because the story is not about the writer. In this case, the story really isn’t about Gould or myself.I am making an exception in this case, though. I want to inform those who’ve watched the interview and who’ve read the article that I am also quarantining myself effective last night, other than working in any essential capacity, pending a negative test. I will be tested through my other place of employment Thursday afternoon, with the results expected by Friday evening.As of publish time, I am awaiting an expected call from a contact tracer. The rest of our staff will also be working from home for the time being as a precaution.The video above contains the full 22-minute Zoom interview with myself and Gould. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)last_img read more

See More

Swans moves for Emnes

first_img Press Association Swansea are set to sign Marvin Emnes on loan from Middlesbrough, Press Association Sport understands. The 25-year-old Dutchman had a one-month spell with the Swans three seasons ago, making himself a fans’ favourite by scoring the winner in a south Wales derby win over Cardiff. Swansea have tried to bring the striker back to the Liberty Stadium on several occasions since, and they look to have succeeded on his occasion with moves for Tom Ince, Anthony Pilkington and Nacer Chadli having failed to come to fruition. center_img The deal will see Emnes, who has scored just once for Boro this term, make the move to south Wales until the end of the season. last_img read more

See More

Milo U-13 ZONE 2: St. Joseph International School crowned champions

first_imgThe Milo U-13 train made its stop at Sunyani for the ZONE 2 after thrilling and buzzing activities in Lawra for the ZONE 1 championship that hosted the Northern, Upper East and West, North East and the Savanna Regions.The championship did not fail to excite as the participating schools turned up in style to grace the 5th anniversary of the competition with Lawra hosting its maiden zonal competition.ZONE 2 kickoff with 16 participating schools from the Ashanti, Bono, Ahafo and the Bono East Regions competing for a place in the grand finale to be played in Kumasi.The participating schools were St. Joseph International, Amoawi Methodist Primary, Sepe Tinpom M/A -A, Sepe Tinpom M/A- B, Techimantia Methodist Primary, Boda R/C, Bebato Kuma Primary, Ateco Demonstration Primary, Abu Bonsra Primary, Nkonsia Primary, Buokrom Primary, Onyemsu D/A, Asuotiano Presby Primary, Anansu Primary, Brofoyedru D/A, and Dutch Presby Primary School.All semifinalists from this zone made the list of school to represent their respective Regions in the finals come June 2, 2019, at the Paa Joe Park in Kumasi.The first day of the competition drew about 600 kids from the non-participating schools for the SOCCER CLINIC; they were taken through fitness tests and drills by the ICON for the competition –  Stephen Appiah at the Sunyani Senior High School Park.This is aimed at developing their skills on the ball, their movements and most importantly the teamwork which Nestlé hopes to foster among the kids.The actual competition took off on the second day, the kids showed great talents and potentials as competed in the field of play.Ashanti Region had 8 competing schools and was grouped into A and B with Bono having 4 while both Bono East and Ahafo were represented by 2 each – they had to play a round robbing game (home and away) with the most wins and goals to go through to the semis.A total of 14 games were played on the first day, organizers and spectators from the community were thrilled with the sheer quality of talents these kids displayed as there was no shortage of football skills and intelligence.After the first round of games was played, Amoawi Methodist Primary and Sepe Tinpom M/A-B were winners in their respective groups from the Ashanti Region and had to square it up for who represents the region. Amoawi were too strong for their compatriots on the day as they were 1-0 winners.They became the first to side from Zone 2 to book their place in the National finals.Boda R/C Primary followed after emerging as group leaders from the Bono Region after thrashing Abu Bonsra 4-1 in their group decider.St. Joseph International School proved to be too strong for their fellow regional rivals, Techimantia Methodist. The won 7-1 on aggregate to make it to the semis.The 4th slot went to Babato Kuma Primary from the Ahafo Region after beating Ateco Demo Primary 2-0 on aggregate to advancement to the National Finals.SEMI-FINALISTS After the pairing was done, it was Amoawi against St. Joseph – the final before the actual finals as it was tagged by spectators then Babato Kuma against Boda R/C in the second semi-final game.The first semi-final game was everything spectators wished for, great game, quality football techniques from the kids. They entertained the fans but it was St. Joseph who narrowly edged out their opponents with a lone goal scored in the second half by their wonder kid, Mark Aboagye.The winner of the second semis had to be decided through the shootout as Boda R/C and Babato Kuma played out a 1-1 draw game – but it’s was Boda that emerged as winners from the spot kicks with a 4-2 win.Then there came the finale of ZONE 2 to decided the Zonal champions.It was St. Joseph from the Ahafo Region and Boda from the Bono Region.With little or no surprise, it was St. Joseph International School that were crowned Zone 2 champions but there were made to sweat for it by Bada who defended gallantly. A super sub, Israel Kofi Sarfo decided the winner when he was introduced midway in the second half.AWARDSFair Play – Nsoatre Presby PrimaryBest Goalkeeper – Theophilus Adu Benpah of Amoawi MethodistGoal King and the overall best player went to Mark Aboagye of St. Joseph International School.last_img read more

See More

Manchester United to leave City in pole position for Pep Guardiola

first_imgManchester United intend to take a back seat when Pep Guardiola’s contract with Bayern Munich expires at the end of the season, leaving the way open for Manchester City to pursue the former Barcelona coach at the expense of Manuel Pellegrini.United’s information is that Guardiola will not renew his current deal and wants to work in English football but that will not interest them because of the timing of his availability and their support for Louis van Gaal.The suspicion at Old Trafford is that Guardiola’s most likely destination will be City, meaning an obvious threat to Pellegrini’s job, although Chelsea could be another viable alternative given their decline this season under José Mourinho.Ordinarily, United would have Guardiola prominently in their thoughts bearing in mind his success at Bayern and previously at Barcelona, where his team twice beat Sir Alex Ferguson’s sides in Champions League finals. However, if he were to leave Bayern next summer that would count against United, given it comes a year before Van Gaal’s contract expires.The Dutchman’s deal runs until 2017 and unless something drastically changes United will take themselves out of the equation if Guardiola is available.Pellegrini’s position at City is not so watertight and not helped by the fact Saturday’s 2-0 defeat at Stoke was the third time they have been beaten in the last five matches. Pellegrini signed a contract extension in August to take him to the end of the 2016-17 season but Guardiola’s availability has been in the minds of the chief executive, Ferran Soriano, and the director of football, Txiki Begiristain, for some time. They worked with Guardiola in their previous roles as executives at Barcelona and consider him an ideal fit for a club that had expected more than Pellegrini has been able to deliver.Pellegrini’s team have not won an away match in the Premier League since September and he admitted they had played badly against Stoke, giving Leicester City the chance to return to the top of the division courtesy of a 3-0 win at Swansea City.Riyad Mahrez scored a hat-trick as Claudio Ranieri’s team established a two-point lead ahead of Arsenal, 3-1 winners at home to Sunderland, on a day when Jamie Vardy’s 11-match scoring run came to an end. “We didn’t play well,” Joe Hart, Manchester City’s goalkeeper, said after two early goals from Marko Arnautovic won the game. Pellegrini blamed fatigue but Hart chose not to follow the same line. “A few of the lads are feeling it from the games we are playing but that is not an excuse. We need to put in at least a seven-out-of-10 performance every game and we are not doing that. We can’t accept how we played.” United dropped to fourth position after their latest 0-0 draw, at home to West Ham United, and have now scored seven times in the last 10 matches. It was their fifth goalless draw in the last nine matches but, despite growing scrutiny of the team’s style, there is strong support for Van Gaal behind the scenes at Old Trafford. The boardroom view is that the criticism has been overplayed and that it is satisfactory for now that Van Gaal has re-established the club as credible title challengers.Ed Woodward, United’s chief executive, is still hopeful that United will eventually be able to lure one of Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar or Gareth Bale. However, he is not hugely optimistic about adding any more players in the January transfer window, mindful of the way Southampton blocked their attempts to sign Sadio Mané in the summer. United need cover at left-back but the idea of offering Ashley Cole a short-term deal has been discounted.–Catch the EPL 2014/15 games live on SuperSport throughout the season.last_img read more

See More