‘Miracle’ boy found alive 13 hours after falling down drainage pipe in Los Angeles: Fire official

first_imgLAFD(LOS ANGELES) — A 13-year-old boy was found alive this morning after falling through a wooden plank on Sunday and being washed away into a network of drainage pipes in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Fire Department said.Jesse Hernandez, who was scared, cold and hungry when he was found, is “alert and talking,” the fire department said.Jesse was rescued early this morning after being trapped in the pipe system overnight.The accident happened at about 4:30 p.m. local time on Sunday when the boy fell about 25 feet into a sewer pipe, the fire department said.Jesse’s family was picnicking nearby as part of its annual Easter tradition before the boy went missing, fire department official said. The fire department told ABC station KABC in Los Angeles that Jesse and his friends had climbed over a chain-link fence near Griffith Park and entered an abandoned maintenance shed. Jesse then fell after a wooden plank he was standing on gave way.The pipes, which run parallel the Los Angeles River and cross under freeways, are 4 feet in diameter, the fire department said. The pipes are filled with 2 feet or more of liquid that moves at 15 mph, the fire department said.Teams from the Los Angeles Fire Department, Los Angeles Police Department, California Highway Patrol and experts from the Bureaus of Sanitation, Engineering and Contract Administration were among the officials who worked to analyze the 6,400-feet pipe system and conduct the search.Cameras used to inspect pipes for repair were employed as part of the rescue effort, the fire department said.The fire department, working with the Bureau of Sanitation, pinpointed the search area to a one-mile radius, and intelligence then narrowed the search down to a 6,400-foot section of pipe, LAFD Captain Erik Scott told ABC News.That’s where rescuers opened a maintenance hatch and found Jesse, who was scared, cold and hungry, Scott said. Jesse saw a glimpse of light when the sewage hatch was opening, Scott said. He commended the teen for being smart enough to stay by the light.As rescuers checked his vitals, crew members handed him a phone to call his mother, who was relieved to hear his voice, Scott said.Scott said crews were extremely concerned that Jesse wouldn’t be found safe due to the fall and the hazardous material inside the pipes. Scott said he has never seen so many men hold back their tears when they saved the teenager.Jesse was taken to a hospital to be evaluated, the fire department said.“We would like to thank the entire Hernandez family for their patience and optimism,” the department said. “From start to finish, this was an unprecedented team effort and the LAFD would like to recognize the excellent teamwork among all agencies involved.”Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

See More

USS chief defends scheme performance against ‘polarised agendas’

first_imgGroup CEO Galvin said views of USS had been “pulled to and fro by the 2017 valuation and commentators with polarised agendas”.“At various points we were accused of being reckless for taking too much risk in our investment strategy, or of being recklessly prudent for our plans to invest more in ‘safer bonds’,” he added.Objective observers, argued Galvin, would find neither of these statements to be true, just as they would with regard to accusations the scheme was “creating ‘smokescreens’ to hide bigger funding problems” or “manufacturing” deficits.Compared with many other private pension schemes, USS was “an excellent pension plan” and “doing a good job in difficult circumstances”, he said.The figuresUSS’ funding deficit fell from £12.6bn (€14.1bn) to £12.1bn as at 31 March, on a monitoring basis using 2014 valuation assumptions. The scheme has not yet completed its 2017 valuation due to the disagreement between universities and members. The ongoing 2017 valuation has reported a £7.5bn deficit (89% funded).Its assets grew by £3.9bn to reach a total £64.4bn, the vast majority of which are assets in the DB section (£63.6bn).Investments supporting the DB section of the scheme gained 6.2% over the year under review and 10.6% per annum over five years, which amounted to an outperformance of 1.4% and 0.8%, respectively.The DB fund also outperformed UK government bonds by £5.6bn over five years to the end of March.USS also highlighted its performance on value for money, noting that an independent assessment found it was able to achieve its five-year investment performance at a cost £61m less than that incurred by comparable pension funds in the latest 12-month period assessed.Investment in internal investment capabilities, which was partly behind a £2.1m increase in staff wages, helped reduce overall investment costs, as a proportion of assets under management, to 31bps, 16bps lower than in 2013/4, according to the scheme. The chief executive of the UK’s largest pension scheme – the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) – has expressed alarm at the “confusion, concern and distrust” generated among its members as a result of commentary about the scheme’s funding position.Commenting on USS’ annual report and accounts for 2017, Bill Galvin said that “whatever the contributions of others might have been in that outcome, we clearly failed to communicate simply enough, convincingly enough, or from a basis of sufficient trust, to make the key messages clear”.USS would therefore review its process for the scheme’s valuation with employers, in particular “the early discussions regarding their risk appetite and capacity,” he said.The 2017 valuation of USS led to the scheme proposing to close its defined benefit (DB) section to future accrual, which in turn led to strike action across UK universities and heated debate about the scheme’s approach to the valuation.last_img read more

See More

Rape suspect falls

first_imgNo bail bond was recommended for his temporary liberty./PN His apprehension on Tuesday was staged on the strength of an arrest warrant issued by Judge Naxiao of the Municipal Trial Court, Makilala, Cotobato dated Jan. 31, 1990. ILOILO City – Charged with rape, a man was arrested in Barangay Calampitao, Guimbal, Iloilo.   Candeler was hiding from authorities for about 30 years.center_img Police identified him as Honorato Candeler, 46, a native of Barangay Damawato, Tulonan, North Cotobato but temporary resides in Tubungan. The suspect was detained in the lockup cell of the Tubungan police station and set to be transferred to Cotobato next week.last_img

See More

Man Accused of Assaulting Child in Broward Could Be in PBC

first_imgFlorentin may also be headed to his native country, Guatemala, in order to avoid prosecution. Officials say he is known to cross the southern U.S. border.Anyone who sees Florentin is advised not to approach him due to his violent nature, but to call the nearest law enforcement agency.Those with information on his whereabouts are also asked to call Detective Mitter of the Coral Springs Police Department Special Victims Unit at (954) 346-1300. Authorities need your help to locate a 36-year-old man who is on the run after being accused of sexually assaulting a child in Coral Springs.They believe he could be hiding in Palm Beach County.Coral Springs Police charged Andres Tomas-Juan Florentin with four counts of sexual battery and one count of false imprisonment following his February 28 arrest. His bond amount was lowered, and he was placed on an ankle monitor pending trial.On June 12, Florentin cut off his ankle monitor and went disappeared. Police say he could be hiding in Palm Beach, Broward or Miami-Dade counties.Andres Florentin was arrested in CS for the sexual assault of a minor child on 2/28/19. On 6/12, he cut off his ankle monitor and absconded. He may be hiding in the tri-county area. If you have info, please call CSPD at (954) 346-1300. Learn more: https://t.co/MQgMR3gliW pic.twitter.com/pIxTGNb3Cs— Coral Springs Police (@CoralSpringsPD) June 27, 2019last_img read more

See More

Women’s Hockey: Badgers return home following unsuccessful trek to Minneapolis

first_imgThe University of Wisconsin women’s hockey team (10-1-1, 4-1-1 WCHA) returns to the ice this weekend to host Minnesota State (6-4-2, 2-4-2) at LaBahn Arena.The team is looking to get back on track this weekend after their defeats at the hands of the Minnesota Gophers on Nov. 2 and 3, where the Badgers fell to the Gophers 2–4 and 2–2. In the second matchup, the Gophers triumphed in shootouts 1–0. While the unit faltered a bit on the road, Wisconsin is looking to return to their stellar form that they have assumed at home all season.Women’s Hockey: Wisconsin scuffles in weekend border battle against MinnesotaIn the first border battle of the 2019-20 season, the No. 2 University of Wisconsin women’s hockey team (10-1-1, 4-1-1 Read…The Badgers will return to their home ice in order to defend a 20-game win streak at LaBahn Arena. Dedicated fans surely play a large role in this continued, rampant success. Wisconsin leads the country in attendance, averaging 2,273 fans per home game this year. In addition, Wisconsin has sold out 62 of its last 80 games at LaBahn, including an impressive 20 sellouts last season alone. Season ticket holders are not guaranteed to show up to every game, but Badger nation certainly seems to be in full support of their home team.Minnesota State, up to this point in the season, has failed to capture definitive wins against top WCHA opponents. They are winless against ranked opponents this season as their best finish has been a pair of ties against the top-10 ranked The Ohio State University. This trend will be hard to overcome, especially considering the advantage the Badgers have while competing on their home ice.Women’s Hockey: Daryl Watts’ journey from Boston College transfer to Wisconsin starDaryl Watts started playing hockey around the age of 4, following in the footsteps of her older brother Jackson. Little Read…All signs point toward the Badgers having a dominant comeback performance against Minnesota State — a team they have certainly dominated in the past. Wisconsin is 84-2-3 all-time against Minnesota State. This trend shows little sign of slowing down anytime soon as the Badgers also currently enjoy a 25 game win streak over Minnesota State.If the Badgers are to dominate Minnesota State, look for key offensive players such as Abby Roque, Daryl Watts and Sophie Shirley. This trio has set themselves apart from the rest of the squad in total points per season up to this point. Each of them currently have at least 22 points on the season with Watts leading the pack with 29 total points. The next closest contributor behind these three is Mekenzie Steffen with 15.Women’s Hockey: Minnesota-Wisconsin rivalry best in college sportsSeparated by 273 miles of hate, Minnesota and Wisconsin have always been bitter rivals in athletics. For most, the biggest Read…Wisconsin has all the tools necessary to take down Minnesota State as they return home fresh off of a bye week.last_img read more

See More

Tyson Fury calls Anthony Joshua a ‘disgrace’ following loss to ‘little fat guy’ Andy Ruiz Jr.

first_imgFury also said before the fight started, he could tell Joshua was going to get knocked out. And he believes a rematch will end in the same fate.”From round one I could see what was going to happen,” Fury said. “I looked at Joshua and he didn’t have no water, no sweat walking into the ring, I thought this guys is going to get knocked out. … (Joshua’s) style and (Ruiz Jr.’s) style — they’re not made to go together. Andy will always beat AJ in my opinion.”Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn has said a rematch against Ruiz is on the way, with a date and location to be determined. Ruiz has said he’d “love” to fight in Mexico, but said on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” Tuesday night he’s willing to fight anywhere, including the U.K. where Joshua is from. Tyson Fury had a lot to say about Andy Ruiz Jr.’s shocking upset over Anthony Joshua from the past weekend.The heavyweight fighter was asked about the bout on ESPN Radio and was very critical towards Joshua while not offering much praise for Ruiz. His comments were interesting, because after the fight, Fury seemed to offer some words of comfort towards Joshua on social media. We have our back and Forth’s but @anthonyfjoshua changed his stars through life. heavyweight boxing, these things happen, rest up, recover, regroup and come again 👊🏼— TYSON FURY (@Tyson_Fury) June 2, 2019Join DAZN and watch GGG-Rolls: Sign up in U.S. But his tone in his interview with ESPN was much different.”He’s done very well in his life and career,” Fury said of Joshua. “He’s definitely done well but everybody bumps into that one person who can knock them out any time and unfortunately for AJ it was a little fat fella from California who chinned him. And he’ll never live it down. Can you imagine? You’re built like an Adonis, you’re six foot six [inches], you’re ripped, carved in stone, and a little fat guy who has eaten every Snickers and Mars bar in the whole of California comes in there and bladders you all over? What a disgrace. If that was me, I’d never show my face in public ever again.”last_img read more

See More

BiH Basketball Team Starts Today Preparations for the Eurobasket

first_imgSenior national basketball team of BiH will gather today in Sarajevo to start preparing for the European Championship in Slovenia, which will be held in September.Selector of the national team of BiH Aleksandar Petrović invited 16 players for preparations: Zackary Wright, Muhamed Pašalić, Filip Adamović, Nihad Đedovic, Nemanja Gordić, Marko Šutalo, Ante Mašić, Dalibor Peršić, Adin Vrabac, Mirza Teletović, Edin Bavčić, Miralem Halilović, Nedžad Sinanović , Elmedin Kikanović, Andrija Stipanović, Jusuf Nurkić.Petrović expects to have all invited players, except Zach Wright and captain Mirza Teletović who will join the team later.The first part of the preparation will be carried out in Sarajevo, and after seven days they will go to Slovenia, where they will work on fitness and tactics. After that, they will return to Sarajevo where they will stay for three or four days, and then in Slovenia, they will play against Slovenia, Georgia and Russia.‘’Impact of the seven-part preparations consists of two tournaments in Germany and Greece, where they will play six games’’ said the coach Petrović for Fena.In Germany BiH national team will play against a local team, against Greece and Macedonia, while during “Akropolis tournament” in Athens they will play against Italy, Greece and Latvia.European Championship in Slovenia will be held from 4th to 22th September 2013. Players of BiH will play in Jesenice in the B-group with Macedonia, Lithuania, Montenegro, Latvia and Serbia. (Source:Fena)last_img read more

See More