July 6, 2020 Find out more MauritaniaAfrica News March 13, 2020 Find out more RSF_en Reporters Without Borders strongly condemns the six-month jail sentence which a Nouakchott court passed yesterday on Hanevy Ould Dehah, the editor of the website Taqadoumy, on a charge of “offending public decency.” Dehah has been held for the past two months in Dart Naim prison.“The sole aim of this disproportionate sentence is to restore the reputation of Ibrahima Moctar Sarr, a politician whose financial dealings Dehah examined,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We hope this verdict is overturned on appeal and Dehah is soon released.”Reporters Without Borders has obtained a copy of the court’s verdict. While finding Dehah guilty on the public decency charge, the court acquitted him on charges of defamation, inciting rebellion and inciting crimes and offences “because of the absence of enforceable laws applicable to electronic media offences.” As well as sentencing him to six months in prison, it fined him 30,000 ouguiyas (83 euros) and ordered him to pay another 21,000 ouguiyas (59 euros) in legal costs. He has appealed.Dehah was arrested on the orders of the Nouakchott prosecutor’s office on 18 June as a result of a complaint by Sarr, a presidential candidate and head of the opposition Alliance for Justice and Democracy/Movement for Renovation (AJD/MR), over an article posted on Taqadoumy on 22 April. Headlined “Ibrahima Sarr’s sudden fortune,” it referred to “the purchase by Mr. Sarr of a villa costing 30 million ouguiyas on the Nouadhibou road in an area known as ‘university lands,’ one of the capital’s most elegant neighbourhoods.” Sarr and his family described the article as “defamatory and baseless.” MauritaniaAfrica Follow the news on Mauritania News Organisation to go further May 20, 2021 Find out more Mauritanian reporter held for two days over Facebook post August 20, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Website editor gets six months in prison for “offending public decency” Receive email alerts Journalists face archaic sanction of capital punishment in some parts of the world Help by sharing this information News RSF backs joint op-ed by 120 West African media and journalists calling for Beninese journalist’s release News
iStock/Thinktsock(GASTONIA, N.C.) — The father of 6-year-old Maddox Ritch said he will “forever be a broken man” after a body believed to be his young son was recovered on Thursday.Maddox, who has autism and does not talk, was at Rankin Lake Park in Gastonia, North Carolina, with his father, Ian Ritch, and another adult when he disappeared Saturday.After days of intensive searching, the body believed to be Maddox was found partially underwater in a creek Thursday about 1 mile from the park, officials said. It’s not yet clear how Maddox went from the park to the creek, how he died and if foul play was involved, officials said Thursday.“Maddox was my only child and he will be the only one I will ever have,” Ritch wrote on Facebook Thursday. “Today I found out I’m not a dad anymore.”Ian Ritch had said his son had started sprinting roughly 25 to 30 feet ahead of him before the little boy ran out of sight.“As soon as I got to the point where I couldn’t see him anymore, I started panicking,” he said earlier this week.“I would give anything to go back and save him,” Ritch wrote on Facebook Thursday. “For the rest of my life i will live with the guilt of not being there to save my son. … hug ur[sic] children tighter and please don’t make my mistake and let them get too far away.”Ritch in his statement also thanked those who scoured the park and “everyone in the community that were hoping and praying and just took one second of their time to think about Maddox.”Ritch wrote that he had never been a very spiritual person, but now wants to be so that when he dies Maddox “will be the first person I see when I get into heaven. I cant waitto[sic] see his lil[sic] smiling face again.He ended the statement saying, “To Maddox I just want to say I love u[sic] lil[sic] buddy. Please be waiting for me when my time comes.”After Maddox disappeared, a park employee called 911, sparking a massive search by local, state and federal investigators. They scoured the land with police dogs, searched dumpsters, waded through the park’s lake using sonar and divers and scanned the area with helicopters and drones, police said.Authorities also recorded messages from Maddox’s parents and played those messages in the woods in the hopes that their voices might persuade him to come out if he was there.“Maddox is my whole world and my reason for living,” his mother, Carrie Ritch, said at a press conference Tuesday.“I want my baby back in my arms,” she said through tears.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Naesean Howard is no longer on the Syracuse football team, Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer confirmed in a statement released Tuesday night. Nate Mink of The Post-Standard was the first to report Howard’s status.“We have decided to part ways,” Shafer said of Howard in the statement. “We wish Naesean all the best in the future.”Howard, a two-way player at nearby West Genesee (New York) High School, was the first to commit to Syracuse in the Class of 2014. He did so as a running back, but entered training camp as a safety. During training camp, Howard was suspended from the team for missing curfew and did not attend the Orange’s trip to Fort Drum.At that time, Howard spent time with graduate assistant and former SU linebacker Siriki Diabate. Shafer said Howard “learned his lesson” after rejoining the team, and there hasn’t been an announcement of whether he’ll be able to do so again. Comments AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Published on September 30, 2014 at 8:39 pm Contact Jesse: [email protected] | @dougherty_jesse Facebook Twitter Google+