Virgin London Marathon 2012 runners raise record £52.8m Tagged with: Events Research / statistics AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis Howard Lake | 14 September 2012 | News Runners in April’s Virgin London Marathon raised £52.8 million for good causes, bringing the total raised since the race began in 1981 to £610.7 million.This is the sixth consecutive year that London Marathon runners have broken the Guinness World Record for charity fundraising at a single annual event.This year’s run, which took place on 22 April 2012, featured a record 36,705 runners who finished the course. According to the organisers, 74% of them were raising money for good causes.Virgin London Marathon race director Hugh Brasher said: “This is an especially impressive total and the fact that this figure increased again for the sixth year in a row, despite the well publicised economic woes, shows just how committed our runners are to raising funds for good causes”.London Marathon fundraising totals2007 £46.5 million2008 £46.7 million2009 £47.2 million2010 £50.6 million2011 £51.8 million2012 £52.8 millionVirgin London Marathon 2013Next year’s Virgin London Marathon takes place on Sunday 21 April 2013. The official charities will be Age UK and YouthNet.www.runforit.org.ukPhoto: Pablo Gomez on Flickr.com Advertisement 37 total views, 1 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving.
News October 14, 2020 Find out more BahrainMiddle East – North Africa Follow the news on Bahrain Organisation News Receive email alerts Related documents 120621_depressing_anniversary_bahrain_ar.pdfPDF – 295.56 KB Coronavirus “information heroes” – journalism that saves lives BahrainMiddle East – North Africa to go further Help by sharing this information German spyware company FinFisher searched by public prosecutors June 21, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Bahraini blogger still missing a year after trial of activists and government opponents March 17, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders demands the immediate release of those arrested for their beliefs and for their work in circulating information, in particular Abduljalil Al-Singace. The press freedom organization also shares the deep concern of Ali Abdulemam’s family and seeks clarification about his fate.On 30 April, Bahrain’s judicial authorities ordered a new trial before a civilian court, which opened on 8 May in the Court of Appeal. For the first time, the accused were able to speak about the torture they had suffered. The last session was on 19 June and the next is scheduled for 26 June.Three of the activists, Al-Singace, Abdulhadi Alkhawaja and Hasan Mushaima, decided after testifying that they would not to appear at any further sessions. They did not believe in the impartiality of the system and demanded that they be released immediately, saying they had been targeted because of their activism. The three provided the court with the names of agents they said had tortured them after they were arrested. They demanded that these officers be removed from the list of witnesses called by the prosecution to testify against them. In addition, the court has refused to free eight other activists whose release had been requested by their lawyers. Al-Singace’s counsel has also refused to attend hearings of the court at his client’s request. The court has asked that another lawyer be appointed.Al-Singace, head of the Al Haq pro-democracy and civil liberties movement, was arrested on 16 March this year. He had been detained previously in 2009 for allegedly trying to destabilize the government because he used his blog (http://alsingace.katib.org) to draw attention to discrimination against Bahrain’s Shiite population and the deplorable state of civil liberties in the country.Abdulemam is regarded by fellow Bahrainis as one of his country’s Internet pioneers and is an active member of Bahrain Online, a pro-democracy forum that gets more than 100,000 visitors a day despite being blocked within Bahrain. A contributor to the international bloggers network Global Voices, he has taken part in many international conferences at which he has denounced human rights violations in Bahrain. Tenth anniversary of Bahraini blogger’s arrest Read in Arabic (بالعربية) RSF_en On 2 June last year in a trial marred by irregularities, harsh penalties were handed down by a military court on 21 suspects prosecuted for membership of terrorist organizations and attempting to overthrow the government. Eight of them, including the blogger and human rights activist Abduljalil Al-Singace, received life sentences. The other 13 were given between two and 15 years’ imprisonment,They included the missing blogger Ali Abdulemam, who was tried in absentia and received a 15-year sentence. His family have had no news of him for months and asked the authorities today in a video recording to provide them with any information they have about him and to drop the charges brought against him. News News June 15, 2020 Find out more
Louis van Gaal set his sights on catching Manchester City after watching his team rip Tottenham apart with their best display of the season. “The performance was very good against a very good team so I am very pleased. “We played like a team and that is nice to see after a defeat to Arsenal (on Monday) “It’s a massively important game after a defeat against a competitor so I am very pleased with the players. “We have to go step by step and the next game is Liverpool. “Manchester United has not won too often the games in Liverpool.” Fellaini drove a low ball past Hugo Lloris to open the scoring and Carrick nodded in a second before Rooney rounded off the win in the 34th minute following a mistake by Nabil Bentaleb. Van Gaal thinks United are finally starting to tick after months of tinkering with selection and tactics. He said: “The first system was I played with three defenders, the second system was this. I played it against Man City, Chelsea and a third one. But we didn’t do this what we have done today. “It is a matter of time and process. Maybe now is the game that gives us a fantastic boost.” Spurs came into the match on the back of successive victories, but they were unable to muster any kind of challenge on Sunday. When asked whether it was Tottenham’s worst performance of the season, head coach Mauricio Pochettino said: “Maybe, yes.” “We made a lot of mistakes. We never find the way we need to play and damage Manchester United. “I think we made a lot of mistakes. This was the key.” Spurs were being tipped to sneak into the Champions League places, but now they are six points adrift and Pochettino is a concerned man. “I am worried about our performance,” the Argentinian said. “You can lose here, but our performance was poor. “We need to try and analyse and fix that. “I think a lot of times today we showed a very poor performance. “I don’t remember when was the last time we had a similar performance. We are all disappointed, not only me, all the team.” For eight months Van Gaal has been promising Manchester United fans everything would soon start to click into place and it finally did on Sunday as United beat Spurs 3-0. Marouane Fellaini, Michael Carrick and Wayne Rooney found the net in a rampant first half display that had all the hallmarks of the Sir Alex Ferguson era at Old Trafford. United played with speed, width, aggression and destruction to record a win that puts them within two points of second-placed City, who lead Arsenal by one point. After losing at Burnley on Saturday, City have fallen further behind Barclays Premier League leaders Chelsea and Manuel Pellegrini’s men are now in Van Gaal’s sights. When asked whether City had been dragged into the “rat race” – a term Van Gaal uses to describe the fight for the top four – the United boss said: “Of course, because Arsenal is one point behind and we are two points behind. “It is good for us and the fans and the media because you can write a lot of things down. “We have to go step by step. It is a rat race and we are now two points from the second position.” Van Gaal thinks the title is as good as gone. “It is too far away,” he said, mindful of the fact that United are eight points behind Chelsea having played one more game. But the United boss hopes the win over Spurs will inject confidence into his team, who have put in a series of unimaginative performances this season, much to the disappointment of their fans. “We have waited a long time for such a victory,” said Van Gaal, who faces Liverpool, Aston Villa, City, and Chelsea in the coming weeks. Press Association