Campaign warns fans over flares

first_imgA new campaign is being launched to warn of the dangers of fans using flares and smoke bombs after it was revealed children as young as eight have been used as ‘mules’ to smuggle pyrotechnic devices into football grounds. “This campaign clearly sets out the dangers of flares and smoke bombs. I want to see the courts taking this problem seriously and dealing in the strongest way possible with fans who still illegally smuggle pyrotechnics into football grounds.” Nine people have been injured or burned by fireworks thrown at grounds in England in the last 18 months. Last month a Manchester United fan who set off a smoke bomb during Sir Alex Ferguson’s last game in charge, against West Brom, was given a suspended two-month jail term and banned from any football grounds for three years. In February, two Chelsea fans were jailed for 28 days and given six-year football banning orders for taking smoke bombs into the Liberty Stadium for a match versus Swansea. Fans will be reminded that fireworks are illegal at matches, carrying the risk of possible jail sentences, and warned of the dangers – last season a 15-year-old boy suffered lung damage from a smoke bomb thrown at Wigan, while in February a 14-year-old boy was killed by a flare thrown by fans during a South American Libertadores Cup match in Bolivia. The Premier League said in a statement: “A disturbing element of increased pyrotechnics has been the involvement of children. “It is not uncommon for ‘mules’ to bring the pyrotechnics into a ground on behalf of others, and in one incident at a Premier League match last season a child aged around eight was observed aiding those involved in pyrotechnic use. “The child came into the ground with pyrotechnics in his rucksack and was then seen passing them to members of an adult group who let them off inside the ground.” New research has found that one third of fans have been affected by pyrotechnics, 87 per cent believe they are dangerous and 78 per cent say they want more action taken against users. Fireworks have always been viewed as a European phenomenon but they have become a growing problem in English football with eight incidents in the 2010/11 season, 72 in 2011/12 and so far this season 96 incidents. Policing minister Damian Green said: “Football fans might see images of football grounds in other parts of Europe full of smoke and light caused by pyrotechnic devices and think that they create a good atmosphere – but they do not. “Flares are very dangerous and can cause severe injuries. We are very lucky that no one has been seriously injured or killed by a flare here for a long time. The campaign by the Premier League, Football League and the FA comes after a growth in the number of incidents – including a linesman being struck by a firework at Aston Villa in October. Concerns have intensified after CCTV at one Premier League ground caught a young boy handing out fireworks to adults from his rucksack. Press Associationlast_img read more

See More

Dodgers lineup gets off to hot start in first exhibition game

first_img Fire danger is on Dave Roberts’ mind as Dodgers head to San Francisco Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies When Corey Seager walked in the next at-bat, the Dodgers ended their half of the first without recording an out as Widener hit his 25-pitch limit for the inning. Batting in the three hole, Justin Turner hit an infield single off the right-handed Widener’s glove to load the bases for Cody Bellinger. It took five pitches before the reigning National League MVP cleared the bases by hitting a 94 mile per hour fastball into the right field seats for a grand slam. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire As the Los Angeles Dodgers prepared for Sunday’s exhibition against the Arizona Diamondbacks, Dodger manager Dave Roberts said he would use regular-season lineups to prepare for Thursday’s opener.And in the Dodgers’ 9-2 win on Sunday, the team got its first chance to see what its revamped offense looks like against an actual opponent.It all started in the bottom of the first inning. And fittingly, it began with right fielder Mookie Betts, the former American League MVP acquired in a blockbuster trade from the Red Sox in February.Betts led the frame off with a walk. Max Muncy followed with a walk of his own, the pair combining to face 14 pitches from Arizona starter Taylor Widener. Cody Bellinger homer gives Dodgers their first walkoff win of season The top of the order delivered again in the third inning on a sacrifice fly from Turner and an RBI single from Bellinger, driving in Betts and Muncy respectively.Bellinger added an RBI single in the seventh to finish the game 3-for-4 with six RBIs. All told, the Dodgers’ starting 1-5 hitters went 9-for-13 with three walks.The Dodgers enjoyed success on the mound on Sunday, too, thanks to the play of rookie Mitchell White.The former second-round pick threw five innings, allowing one earned run and one hit with two strikeouts and no walks. The one hit was a home run by Ketel Marte in the first inning, but White retired the next 14 batters he faced.The goal was for White to pitch four innings on Sunday. But he breezed through the target in 44 pitches, so Roberts called on him for the fifth inning. Help was warming up in the bullpen just in case, but White needed just 10 pitches to retire the side and qualify for the win.Related Articles Dodgers’ Max Muncy trying to work his way out of slow start The bullpen contributed four innings. Adam Kolarek and A.J. Ramos combined for a shutout sixth, while Victor Gonzalez allowed one earned run in two innings work. Closer Kenley Jansen finished the game with a perfect ninth.That type of pitching performance was more than enough given how the Dodgers hit on Sunday.last_img read more

See More

NASCAR starting lineup at Phoenix: Ryan Blaney wins pole; Chase Elliott qualifies second

first_imgTicketGuardian 500 schedule, how to watchAll of the events leading up to the race, including practices and races for the Xfinity Series, can be seen on NASCAR.com, PRN, MRN and FS1.Here’s a daily schedule of events leading up to the TicketGuardian 500.(All times Eastern)Friday, March 8TimeEventChannel1:35 p.m. Cup Series First PracticeMRN3:05 p.m.Xfinity Series First PracticeFS15:05 p.m.Xfinity Series Final PracticeFS16:10 p.m.Cup Series qualifyingFS1/MRNSaturday, March 9TimeEventChannel11:35 a.m.Cup Series Second PracticeFS1/MRN12:40 p.m.Xfinity Series qualifyingFS12:05 p.m.Cup Series Final PracticeFS1/MRN4 p.m.Xfinity Series raceFS1/MRNSunday, March 10TimeEventChannel3:30 p.m.TicketGuardian 500Fox/MRN DRIVERS FIGHT: Suarez, McDowell clash in qualifyingChase Elliott will start second. Kyle Busch will be fourth and Kevin Harvick eighth.Kurt Busch did not make it to the final round of qualifying and will start 16th.NASCAR AT PHOENIX: Odds, prediction, sleepersKyle Larson didn’t have his best day; he qualified 31st.The TicketGuardian 500 can be seen at 3:30 p.m. ET on Sunday on FOX.TicketGuardian 500 starting lineupHere is the starting lineup for Sunday’s race:StartingDriverNumberNo. 1Ryan Blaney12No. 2Chase Elliott9No. 3Denny Hamlin11No. 4Kyle Busch18No. 5Brad Keselowski2No. 6Alex Bowman88No. 7William Byron24No. 8Kevin Harvick4No. 9Martin Truex Jr.19No. 10Erik Jones20No. 11Daniel Hemric8No. 12Joey Logano22No. 13Austin Dillon3No. 14Aric Almirola10No. 15Jimmie Johnson48No. 16Kurt Busch1No. 17Paul Menard21No. 18Ryan Newman6No. 19Ricky Stenhouse Jr.17No. 20Ty Dillon13No. 21Ryan Preece47No. 22Chris Buescher37No. 23Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr.43No. 24Corey Lajoie32No. 25Matt DiBenedetto95No. 26Clint Bowyer14No. 27Michael McDowell34No. 28Daniel Suarez41No. 29David Ragan38No. 30Matt Tifft36No. 31Kyle Larson42No. 32Landon Cassill00No. 33Ross Chastain15No. 34Cody Ware51No. 35Quin Houff77No. 36Bayley Currey52 What time does the TicketGuardian 500 start?The TicketGuardian 500 will take place Sunday, March 10. Live coverage begins on Fox at 3:30 p.m. EST.What channel is the TicketGuardian 500 on?The TicketGuardian 500 will be broadcast nationally on Fox. The race can also be live-streamed on the Fox Sports Go app or by subscribing to fuboTV, which offers a seven-day free trial. This may be the thing to get Ryan Blaney going.The 25-year-old won his first pole of the season Friday at ISM Raceway in Avondale, Ariz., outside Phoenix. He will start up front for Sunday’s Monster Energy Cup Series TicketGuardian 500.last_img read more

See More