Several Region 2 rice farmers still owed for paddy

first_img4 months later– threaten legal actionFollowing the dramatic scenes that unfolded outside the gate of the Hack Rice Mill in Golden Fleece, Essequibo Coast, Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam) in late December 2018 when over 300 rice farmers demanded their payments, many producers remain unpaid for as many as four months.  Guyana Times  was told on Saturday that the frustrated farmers will be exploring legal actions if the situation remains unchanged.The farmers said that they were told that they would be paid sometime this month. An industry insider familiar with the matter noted that the proprietor was reportedly waiting on a cheque from the Guyana Rice Development Board (GRBD) to issue the payments. This newspaper made several attempts to contact the proprietor of Hack Rice Mill, on Saturday but the calls to his mobile number went unanswered.According to the farmers, the miller had purchased paddy since September 2018, but they had to mount their protest action last month since multiple attempts to garner the attention of senior management for their payments were futile.Management had eventually met with farmers and reportedly agreed to give them payments between $50,000 to $100,000 until full payments were available, but this was two weeks ago.The farmers had also said that they have their monthly bank installments to meet and the cash given to them in some cases could not have met the required payment.A mother, who had joined the protest had said that it was not easy for her, especially to finance her children’s education, which she said is a very expensive exercise. She had noted that one was at one at Cyril Potter College of Education (CPCE), one is at the University of Guyana, and the other is writing CSEC exams next year. Some of the other women who were also on the protest line had said that they are single parents and are depending only on their little earnings from the rice industry for their survival.last_img read more

See More

Next Chelsea signing? Spanish wonderkid being chased by the Blues

first_img Dani Ceballos celebrates his goal for Real Betis against Racing Santander He’s one of the most highly-rated teenagers in Spain, and Dani Ceballos is reportedly on the radar of a number of leading clubs, both in the UK and in his home country.So what is all the fuss about? talkSPORT puts the 18-year-old under the Transfer Spotlight…Name: Daniel ‘Dani’ Ceballos FernandezDate of birth: August 7, 1996Birthplace: Utrera, SpainPosition: WingerClub: Real BetisWhat’s the latest?Reports coming out of Spain suggest Chelsea are leading the race to sign the teenage sensation, but that interest has alerted Atletico Madrid, who are plotting a move to keep him in his native country. Real Betis, then, are in pretty much a win-win situation. They are happy to for him to sign a new contract to keep him, or to drive the price beyond the £6m figure currently being talked about.Did you know?1) He was born in Utrera, a province of Seville, and joined Sevilla’s youth set-up at the age of just eight. However, he was released in 2009, at the age of 13, because of a chronic lung condition.2) He played for his local club, CD Utrera, for two years before being picked up by Real Betis in 2011.3) Three years later, in April 2014, and without even playing a game for the club’s B side, he made his senior debut as a substitute in a 1-0 home defeat to Real Socidead.4) He scored his first senior goal later that year, in December against Racing Santander. He has still played only 12 senior games for Betis, with only that one goal to his name, but such is his promise he is already rated in the £6m bracket. His contract ends in June 2016, but he has recently changed agents, fuelling speculation he could be set for a move.5) His progress has already been recognised by the national side and he has won three Under-19 caps for Spain.He says…“I’ve been ‘betico’ (a Betis fan) since childhood, but had the misfortune of playing for Sevilla. Now what I’d like is to succeed with Betis.”They say…“We have offered [Dani] a contract for the next four years and are awaiting a response from his agents.” Betis Sporting director, AlexisVideo evidence… 1last_img read more

See More