Devastated, will do everything it takes to prove my innocence: Narsingh Yadav

first_imgWrestler Narsingh Yadav, who has been handed a four-year ban, said he is more than devastated by the Court of Arbitration for Sports’ verdict.Narsingh’s dream of competing at the ongoing Rio Olympics came to a crushing end when CAS upheld World Anti Doping Agency’s (WADA) appeal against the clean chit given to him in a doping violation case earlier today.  (RIO OLYMPICS – FULL COVERAGE) “To say I am devastated at the decision of CAS would be putting it mildly,” the wrestler said.Narsingh, who bagged the Olympic quota with a bronze medal finish in last year’s World Championships, won a legal battle after compatriot Sushil Kumar took to court asking for a trial.Narsingh then ran into trouble over alleged doping offences. He first returned positive for a banned steroid following a dope test on June 25 by NADA, before being cleared on August 1. (Also read: PV Sindhu sets up Gold medal match with Carolina Marin after demolishing Nozomi Okuhara)However, the WADA filed an urgent application before the CAS ad hoc division to challenge the decision of NADA India to exonerate Narsingh. The CAS said there wasn’t enough evidence to prove Narsingh’s sabotage claims and handed him a four-year ban.’DREAMS CRUELLY SNATCHED AWAY’Narsingh said his dream of competing for the country, that him going amidst all the difficulties that has come his way, was snatched cruelly.”I have gone through so much over the last two months off the mat but the thought of fighting for the glory of the nation at the Games had kept me going. My dream of competing and winning the country a medal at the Rio Olympics has been cruelly snatched away from me twelve hours before my first bout.advertisement”I will do everything it takes to prove my innocence. It is all I have left to fight for,” Narsingh added.’WILL PRESS FOR REVIEW’JSW Sports, who have been promoting Narsingh said they fully believed in his innocence and that they will press for a review of CAS’ verdict.”JSW Sports strongly believes in Narsingh’s innocence and will stand by the wrestler in doing everything to fight for justice. We will be pressing for a review of the decision that WADA would be amenable to if further evidence is found pertaining to sabotage.”Meanwhile, Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) President Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh called for a probe by the Central Bureau Of Investigation (CBI) into the whole affair.”This should not happen to any sportsperson in the future. I demand a CBI probe into the entire issue so that this episode is not repeated in the future,” Brij Bhushan said.”We feel sorry for Narsingh, this should not happen to any athlete.”last_img read more

See More