Salve Regina nips MMA 21-19 in football

first_imgMIDDLETOWN, R.I. — The Salve Regina Seahawks withstood a last-ditch scoring effort by Maine Maritime Academy to nip the Mariners 21-19 in New England Football Conference action Saturday.The Seahawks got a sack from senior defensive lineman Luke Gambale on fourth-and-11 for the Mariners with 59 seconds left in the game.MMA had earlier converted a fourth-and-one play for what would have been a go-ahead eight-yard touchdown run by freshman Jacob Doolan.But the Mariners were flagged for holding to move the ball back 10 yards to the Salve Regina 18, and the sack followed to dash hopes for a game-winning rallyThis is placeholder textThis is placeholder textSalve Regina jumped out to an 8-0 lead when Sam Pascale ran the ball in from 17 yards to cap a 48-yard drive for the Seahawks on their opening possession, with Mitch Graziano scoring the two-point conversion.The Seahawks fumbled on their next two possessions but the Mariners could not capitalize on those early mistakes.The Mariners got on the scoreboard in the second quarter after a Seahawk punt.Michael Fahey ran the ball six yards for the touchdown, andme on the board, and Doolan ran the ball in for the two-point conversion to tie the game 8-8.The Mariners took the 11-8 lead with a little under a minute remaining in the first half when Johnny Weymouth booted a 41-yard field goal. Weymouth’s field goal was the second longest field goal in Maine MMA history and is the longest Mariner field goal since 1996 when David McQuilkin booted a 41-yarder against Westfield State.The MMA lead proved to be brief.Alex Hulme of the Seahawks returned the second-half kickoff 75 yards to the Mariner 20.Four plays later, Pascale took the ball into the end zone from two yards out for his fifth touchdown of the season, and Jackie Hurley’s kick gave the Seahawks a 15-11 lead.MMA reclaimed the lead early in the fourth quarter when Fahey rushed 18 yards for a touchdown that put the Mariners up 17-15.But the Seahawks answered right back with a 47-yard pass completion from quarterback Steven Wilken to Matthew Traynor that set up a five-yard touchdown pass to Hulme for a 21-17 Salve Regina lead.The Mariners got the ball back with just under 10 minutes remaining in the game, and drove 64 yards before committing a costly fumble at the Seahawks’ nine-yard line.Maine Maritime’s defense held Salve Regina to another three and out, and blocked the punt to reclaim the ball at the Seahawks’ 27-yard line with four minutes remaining in the game.James Ferrar rushed for a first down, putting the Mariners at the 17, but the Seahawk defense held abd forced the Mariners to turn the ball over on downs.Three straight kneel-downs for Salve Regina exhausted the remaining timeouts for the Mariners, but still left five seconds on the clock for a fourth-down play.Wilken took the snap and retreated to his own end zone before being downed for a safety, adding the final two points for the Mariners.Fahey had 164 yards on 37 carries and two touchdowns and Ferrar had 99 yards on 26 carries for the Mariners, who rushed for 343 yards.Defensively, John Doyon recorded six tackles, and picked up a fumble recovery for the Mariners, whose record dipped to 3-4 overall and 2-3 in conference play.The Mariners will be at home Saturday to host MIT at noon on Ritchie Field.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *