0Shares0000Brazil’s Neymar (L) and Marcelo take part in a training session in Samara, on July 1, on the eve of their Russia 2018 World Cup round of 16 match against Mexico © AFP / Fabrice COFFRINISAMARA, Russian Federation, Jul 2 – Brazil will look to keep their bid for a record sixth World Cup crown on track when they face Mexico on Monday with a quarter-final place at stake after seeing Spain join the list of contenders to be eliminated.Monday’s other last-16 game sees a much-fancied Belgium take on a Japan side who are dreaming of reaching the quarters for the first time after scraping through their group thanks to their fair-play record. While Neymar’s Brazil, and a Belgian outfit inspired by Eden Hazard and Romelu Lukaku, are both expected to advance, events of the weekend have shown that nothing can be taken for granted.Spain, the 2010 winners, were stunned on Sunday as they lost on penalties to Russia in Moscow, with Igor Akinfeev the hero for the hosts, saving two spot-kicks.Russia won 4-3 in the shoot-out after the tie ended 1-1 at the Luzhniki Stadium, and will now play Croatia in the last eight.Mexico’s players take part to a training session in Samara on July 1, on the eve of their Russia 2018 World Cup round of 16 match against Brazil © AFP / Benjamin CREMELCroatia also won on penalties, defeating Denmark 3-2 in the shoot-out following another 1-1 draw, with Luka Modric having a spot-kick saved late in extra time.They look like serious contenders, while for Spain their elimination is a disaster — they had been considered among the favourites but had their preparations ruined when coach Julen Lopetegui was sensationally sacked on the eve of the tournament.They join 2014 winners Germany, Argentina and European champions Portugal in being knocked out of a competition for which neither Italy nor the Netherlands — two of the great World Cup names — even qualified.Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, the two great individuals of the last decade, have gone home, their hopes of ever winning the World Cup probably over.But Neymar is still dreaming of leading Brazil to glory, and his side take on Mexico in the Volga river port city of Samara (1400 GMT). Coach Tite insists his talisman is now approaching his best form again, four months after undergoing surgery on a fractured foot.“Now, he’s returned to a very high level. He’s played a lot… I told him, and he knows, about the price he’s had to pay to get back to this level,” said Tite.– Can Mexico break curse? –Belgium’s Eden Hazard (front R) watches Vincent Kompany during a team training session in Rostov-on-Don on July 1, on the eve of their Russia 2018 World Cup round of 16 match against Japan © AFP / Filippo MONTEFORTEBrazil will be without left-back Marcelo due to a back problem, so Filipe Luis will take his place against a Mexico side not to be taken lightly.These teams drew 0-0 in the group stage of the last World Cup, and Mexico qualified for the last 16 here at the expense of Germany, beating the holders 1-0 in Moscow in their opening game.Now, ‘El Tri’ are bidding to end the ‘Curse of the Fifth Game’ — they have never made it to the quarter-finals of a World Cup on foreign soil and have suffered six consecutive eliminations in the first knockout round, not managing to reach that fifth game.However, coach Juan Carlos Osorio said he was not concerned about past history.“We don’t talk about that to our players. We spoke about the possibility of coming up against Brazil a few months ago, and here we are,” he said.The winner of that tie will go on to face the winner of Monday’s other game, which sees Belgium meet Japan in Rostov-on-Don (1800 GMT).Japan’s players take part in a training session in Rostov-on-Don on July 1, 2018, on the eve of their Russia 2018 World Cup round of 16 match against Belgium © AFP / Filippo MONTEFORTERoberto Martinez’s dangerous side have lived up to their billing so far, winning all three group games. A host of key players were rested for the 1-0 victory against England, including Hazard, Lukaku and Kevin De Bruyne, but they will return here.However, Adnan Januzaj, who scored the winner in that match, has suffered a knee knock in training.This might be the best chance for Belgium’s ‘golden generation’ to win a major trophy after being eliminated in the last eight at the 2014 World Cup and Euro 2016.“This is our time to shine, definitely. We have top players and we play as a group, especially after the win over England,” said Chelsea star Hazard.“It’s in our hands, we need to give everything and see what happens.”Japan reached this stage in controversial manner, by virtue of collecting fewer yellow cards in the group phase than Senegal. They have never won a knockout-round game at the competition.“Maybe Belgium feel the tournament is starting after their three wins, but I’d like to feel we are on a par with them. We have played to our best, but the players have something more to offer,” said coach Akira Nishino.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants LATEST STORIES At 22-28 with seven losses in their past eight games, the Pelicans are 13th of 15 clubs in the Western Conference, 5.5 games behind the Los Angeles Clippers for the eighth and last playoff berth.Davis, out since January 19 with a sprained left index finger but due back imminently, could become a free agent in 2020 and sign a five-year contract extension worth $240 million after this season.The Pelicans have missed the playoffs in four of six seasons since drafting Davis, but swept Portland in the first round of last season’s playoffs for their first post-season series triumph since 2008. New Orleans fell in the second round to eventual champion Golden State.The Los Angeles Lakers, whose superstar LeBron James is also represented by Paul, and Boston Celtics are expected to be interested in Davis, but the Pelicans do not want the process to become a free-for-all as they risk losing him for nothing unless he is traded.“We have also requested the league to strictly enforce the tampering rules associated with this transaction,” the Pelicans said, a reference to NBA rules prohibiting teams from trying to lure players who are under contract.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte MOST READ Davis violated a rule in the owners-players union agreement banning public trade demands, the fine coming for agent Rich Paul’s statements to ESPN that the NBA characterized in announcing the fine as “an intentional effort to undermine the contractual relationship between Davis and the Pelicans”.The Pelicans confirmed Davis wanted to leave in a statement Monday.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars“Relative to specific talks of a trade, we will do this on our terms and our timeline,” the team said. “One that makes the most sense for our team and it will not be dictated by those outside of our organization.”Davis, top pick in the 2012 NBA Draft, shares second in the NBA with 29.3 points a game and third in the league with 13.3 rebounds per contest. PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Australian PM asks Thailand to free detained soccer player FILE – New Orleans Pelicans forward Anthony Davis reacts after making a 3-point shot during the first half of Game 4 of the team’s first-round NBA basketball playoff series against the Portland Trail Blazers in New Orleans, Saturday, April 21, 2018. (AP Photo/Scott Threlkeld)Anthony Davis was fined $50,000 by the NBA for making a public trade demand on Tuesday, a day after his agent went public with his desire to leave the New Orleans Pelicans.Davis, a five-time All-Star and member of the 2012 London Olympic gold medal squad, told the team he will not sign a contract extension and wants to be traded to an NBA contender before the league’s February 7 transfer deadline.ADVERTISEMENT PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town View comments
A U-S Senate hearing today (Wednesday) in Glenwood focused on the U-S Army Corps of Engineers management of the Missouri River following the massive flooding along the river.The river management has been criticized by residents who say the Corps is more focused on recreation than protecting them.A Corps spokesman pushed back, saying they were focused on flood control — but Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley was not convinced.Audio Playerhttp://kscj.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/GLENWOOD1.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.OC………my constituents. :13Grassley says flood control “needs to be the Corps’ number one priority, period!”Audio Playerhttp://kscj.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/GLENWOOD2.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.OC………do that first” :19Senator Joni Ernst called for the hearing by the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.Ernst says they also need to look at the way flood relief funding is handled.Audio Playerhttp://kscj.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/GLENWOOD3.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.OC………..dollar value property” :24Ernst says continued flooding on the Missouri is unacceptable and needs to be fixed.One suggestion is to eliminate fish and wildlife as a Corps priority in managing the river.Audio Playerhttp://kscj.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/GLENWOOD4.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.OC………higher priority” :13Major Scott Spellmon of the Corps said during the hearing that flood control is their top priority “during periods of significant runoff”.He says nothing could have prevented this spring’s flooding because of the overwhelming amount of water that came down the river from the so-called “bomb cyclone” in mid-March.