Minister instigated looting: Tripura villagers

first_imgAbout 300 people of West Tripura district, who had fled the area after their homes were torched and looted over the alleged molestation of a girl, said on Saturday that they were scared to return.They alleged that the looting and ransacking of their houses in Lalit Bazaar locality under the Ranir Bazaar police station limit was instigated by Revenue Minister and prominent tribal leader N.C. Debbarma.Mr. Debbarma, president of the Indigenous People’s Front Tripura (IPFT), declined to comment on the charge. Prohibitory orders under Section 144 of the Cr.PC was promulgated in the area for 48 hours from 8 a.m. on Saturday, Sub-divisional Magistrate Subhasish Bandopaddhyaya said.A group of tribal youths started torching and looting houses only after the Minister’s visit on Friday, said the villagers who have taken shelter in a school. “The ransacking and looting of our houses started only after N.C. Debbarma visited the spot. He came here at 9 a.m. and looting of our houses started around an hour later,” 50-year-old Samena Khatun alleged.Scared to returnSulekha Khatun, aged 45, said, “My house was set ablaze, my belongings looted. I do not want to return. Let the police shoot me dead. I will not return.” The conflict began when a girl, along with her boyfriend, had come to Ranir Bazaar area on Thursday from a nearby locality to see Durga idols there and four youths allegedly molested her and snatched her phone. The girl and boy went back to their locality and returned with a large group of people who tried to attack the houses of those who reportedly molested the girl. The four accused were arrested on Friday but the attack on the village continued. A large contingent of police has been deployed in the area.last_img read more

See More

CWG scam: CAG indicts Delhi health department

first_imgThe Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) has found irregularities in procurement of medical equipment for the Games.The Commonwealth Games, hosted in the city last year, has come to be associated with a raft of scams. Here’s another.The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) has found irregularities in procurement of medical equipment for the Games, causing loss of crores of rupees to the government exchequer.A CAG report states that the authorities concerned bought the equipment much above the market rates while beds and equipment at some designated hospitals were supplied only after the event got over.The authorities even issued fake work certificates for procuring items. The state-run GB Pant Hospital was designated for definitive care of accredited personnel along with AIIMS and RML Hospital. At GBP, a turnkey project for establishing an emergency block was approved by the government. The purchase committee approved the bid of M/ s Adison Equipment, which agreed to complete the supply, installation and commissioning of the system by August 20, 2010 at a cost of around Rs 5crore.According to the report, a review of expenditure revealed that a false work certificate was signed by a group of doctors on November 19 showing that the project was completed on September 6.”Installation of the turnkey project was possible in November after one month of the CWG. Whereas, this block was specially meant for the Games and the ground floor of the EDP building was specially modified for this purpose. The expenditure of Rs 5.15 crore thus proved unfruitful,” the report states. The report mentions that the hospital’s medical superintendent denied this and said the project was utilised fully for the CWG. Delhi BJP president Vijender Gupta on Tuesday said chief minister Sheila Dikshit was responsible for this scam and should immediately resign.advertisement”There should be a proper investigation and all officials, including the CM, should be booked,” he added.Gupta said the CAG’s findings vindicated earlier claims that there was a huge scam in the whole exercise of improving health facilities ahead of the CWG by the Delhi government.The CAG report says lack of proper planning resulted in non-utilisation of budget.The decision to hold the Games in Delhi was taken in 2003 and the Directorate of Health Services (DHS) was entrusted with the responsibility of providing health services.The budget was allotted from 2006-07 but the final action plan could be finalised only in September 2009. The percentage of utilisation of the allotted budget was 0.1 to 8.5 during 2006-10 and hundred per cent during 2010- 11, the overall utilisation being 33.44 per cent.Delays were a common feature of Games-related projects. Health- related projects were no exception. The report says that although there was enough time to make purchases and call for open tenders, the DHS and hospitals made purchases worth Rs 6.02crore without inviting tenders. In its reply, the DHS attributed this to paucity of time.WHAT THE CAG FOUND – 68 ice- machines for treating sports injuries bought at inflated costs, leading to a Rs 23lakh loss- 11 firms failed to deliver medical equipment worth ` 4lakh- Directorate of Health Services and Lok Nayak Hospital bought equipment worth more than Rs 6crore without inviting open tenders- Director of health services waited till the end so that he could justify purchases without tender- Most equipment came after the Games were over- A Rs 5 crore emergency block for sportspersons at Govind Ballabh Pant Hospital completed a month after Gameslast_img
See More