May 14, 2009WHO: No decision yet on H1N1 vaccine productionExperts convened by the World Health Organization (WHO) today made no decision on recommending mass production of a vaccine for the novel H1N1 virus, and how soon such a recommendation might come is uncertain, said Dr. Keiji Fukuda of the WHO. “No big decision, no pronouncements,” he told reporters. Calling the issue “enormously complicated,” he said a series of additional meetings will be needed. “It’s not possible to say a decision will be made by this [a specific] date,” he said.[May 14 WHO briefing audio file]Global novel influenza total tops 6,000The global number of novel H1N1 influenza cases reached 6,497 in 33 countries, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported today. The count includes 2,446 cases and 60 deaths in Mexico, 3,352 cases and 3 deaths in the United States as of yesterday, and 8 cases and 1 death in Costa Rica. Other countries with more than a dozen cases include Spain (100), the United Kingdom (71), Panama (29), and France (14).[WHO update 28]US novel flu cases pass 4,000Today the US tally of confirmed H1N1 cases grew to 4,298, of which 3 were fatal, in 47 states, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported. North Dakota and Arkansas, with one case each, were added to the list of affected states today.[Current CDC numbers]WHO shortens upcoming World Health AssemblyThe WHO today announced a shortened schedule for the upcoming World Health Assembly. The WHO had been considering the move to allow more time for health ministers to address H1N1 issues in their own countries. The WHA starting date is still May 18, but the meeting will end on May 22 instead of May 27. The agenda includes pandemic preparedness, influenza virus sharing, the International Health Regulations, and WHO budgets and administration.[May 14 WHO statement]Poll finds low demand for potential new flu vaccineA Zogby/University of Texas poll found that only 30% of respondents would get a vaccine for the novel H1N1 outbreak if one was available. Only 18% saw the outbreak as a severe threat, and 96% said they have not curbed their visits to restaurants or malls. Forty percent were confident in the government’s ability to manage the outbreak. Only 36% of respondents said they received a flu immunization for the 2008-09 season. The online poll surveyed 1,442 adults between May 4 and 6.[May 13 Zogby press release]NIH renews support for Baylor flu vaccine researchThe Baylor Institute for Immunology Research recently announced that the National Institutes of Health renewed its grant, worth $14 million over the next 5 years, to design new influenza vaccines. The work involves molecules that target the immune system’s dendritic cells. The institute applied for a grant supplement to make a vaccine against the novel H1N1 virus.[May 11 Baylor press release]
Comment Saliba had considered a late offer from Tottenham (Getty Images)The report claims that Arsenal will now pay an initial €33m (£29.8m) fee plus a further €7m (£6.3m) in add-ons.AdvertisementAdvertisementArsenal are also understood to have agreed to a 20 per cent sell-on clause with Saint-Etienne.Saliba will sign a five-year contract with Arsenal but will remain on loan at Saint-Etienne for the upcoming season.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CitySaliba made his first-team debut for Saint-Etienne in September 2018 and made 19 appearances for the French club last season.The centre-back is regarded as one of the most highly rated young defenders in France and has also represented his national side from under-16 to under-20 level.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Advertisement Advertisement William Saliba is reportedly set to join Arsenal (Getty Images)William Saliba has chosen to join Arsenal after rejecting a late approach from Tottenham, according to reports in France.The Gunners had been in the driving seat to sign the 18-year-old and had hoped to secure a €30 million (£27m) deal with Saint-Etienne.But last week, Tottenham submitted an improved bid to Saint-Etienne and offered better contract terms to the defender.However, Peuple-Vert, a French outlet based in Saint-Etienne, claim that Saliba has opted to join Arsenal after the Gunners revised their original offer.ADVERTISEMENT Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 17 Jul 2019 12:54 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link4.5kShares William Saliba to join Arsenal after rejecting late Tottenham offer
Former Leicester striker Gary Lineker, now host of BBC show Match of the Day, saw the early reports and thought Pearson was on his way out. Lineker wrote on Twitter: “Not overly surprised that Nigel Pearson has been fired by Leicester, given they’re bottom, but he’s been a very good manager of the club. “Not sure if yesterday’s bizarre touchline behaviour had anything to do with Pearson’s exit, but certainly shows how the job gets to ’em all.” However forecasts of Pearson’s demise proved inaccurate, and on he continues in his job. Pearson began his second spell as Leicester manager in November 2011, less than 18 months after departing for Hull. His side amassed 102 points last season as they dominated the Championship, but the step up to the top flight has been difficult. A stirring 5-3 home win over Manchester United in September augured well for their prospects, but it was followed by a distinctly lean spell and Leicester’s next victory did not arrive until Pearson’s charges faced his old side Hull on December 28. A draw against Liverpool and win over Aston Villa followed, but successive defeats by Stoke, Manchester United and Palace cast new doubt over their survival chances. Leicester presently stand four points adrift of 17th-placed Burnley, the last team in a safe position. Pearson is due to hold a routine press conference on Monday afternoon ahead of the Emirates Stadium match. Pearson, speaking before the conjecture over his future began, stressed he has every confidence he is going about his job the right way. “My job and the way I operate is exactly the same as last year, and the year before and the year before that,” said Pearson. “I am a part of a process at the football club, and we are trying to turn the club into a competitive Premier League side, which has been going on since I returned to the club just over three years ago. “As far as I’m concerned I am the same person whether we win, lose or draw.” McArthur, meanwhile, has played down what unfolded with Pearson. Pearson launched a critical attack on McArthur’s old club Wigan and former manager Uwe Rosler after failing to sign him last summer as bids of £5million and £7million were rejected. McArthur, who eventually moved to Palace for £7million, said via Sport Lobster: “Situation with me and Nigel Pearson is getting blown out of proportion.” Leicester have denied manager Nigel Pearson has been sacked by the club. Pearson led the Foxes to the Championship title last season, but his team have picked up just 17 points from their opening 24 matches of the current Barclays Premier League campaign and sit at the foot of the table. Following reports of Pearson being dismissed earlier in the day, Leicester issued a statement to say he remained in charge. Press Association The statement, published on the club’s official website, read: ” Leicester City Football Club would like to clarify its position relative to its manager, Nigel Pearson. “Contrary to media speculation on Sunday evening, Nigel remains the club’s first team manager. Reports to the contrary are inaccurate and without foundation. “Nigel, his staff and the first team squad are entirely focused on Tuesday night’s trip to Arsenal and our continued efforts to secure our position in the Barclays Premier League.” For several hours on Sunday, Pearson’s future at the club looked to be in doubt, but Leicester’s late-night statement put a halt to talk that he had left. The 51-year-old former Southampton and Hull boss was involved in a bizarre incident in Saturday’s 1-0 home defeat by Crystal Palace. He was knocked over on the touchline by Palace midfielder James McArthur after a tackle by Marc Albrighton, resulting in what was initially a friendly exchange between the Foxes boss and Scottish player. Pearson even playfully grabbed McArthur around the throat before helping him to his feet, only to then prevent him from returning to the pitch by grabbing hold of his shirt. That may not have reflected well on Pearson, but there is a lot of goodwill at the club for the man who brought them back to the top flight.
Revised steel taxesThe Finance Ministry, under the hand of Finance Minister Winston Jordan, over the weekend attempted to rubbish an article, which pointed to an increase in the import taxes to be paid for the importation of steel, saying the decision was not initiated by himself, but rather the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) – the Government’s tax collection agency under his Ministry.Finance Minister Winston JordanJordan on Saturday – three days after Guyana Times carried a report – issued a public statement which said the Finance Ministry noted with absolute disgust a report in Guyana Times titled, “Govt hikes taxes on steel imports”, August 11, 2016.According to the article, as published by this newspaper, the Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee Irfaan Ali said, “Finance Minister Winston Jordan circulated on Wednesday a correspondence with [sic] brokers and other relevant stakeholders, indicating that the tariff (taxes) charged for the importation of steel into Guyana would be doubled, since it has been increased from five per cent to 10 per cent.”Jordan has since said the Finance Ministry “categorically rejects this accusation and wishes to make clear that the Minister of Finance, [Winston] Jordan, has not circulated any correspondence indicating any increase in tariffs for the importation of steel.”The Ministry said too it, “wishes to make clear that there has been no increase in the tariffs associated with the importation of steel.”In seeking to offer clarification, the Ministry has since indicated that it is the Quality Review Section of the GRA, responsible for examining customs declarations for valuation, classification and volume discrepancies, which identified anomalies in relation to the importation of alloy steel by several businesses in Guyana.According to the Finance Ministry, “After a review of the evidence presented, together with the Chapter Notes of the Common External Tariff (CET) and Explanatory Notes, it was determined that most of the Tariff Headings applicable to the type of steel commonly imported would attract a rate of import duty of 10 per cent, instead of five per cent.”Minister Jordan still contends however that, it is mindboggling that Ali could engage in such dishonesty which can only be interpreted as an attempt to create unfounded hysteria within the business community to score cheap political points and impugn the integrity of the Finance Minister.In his attempt to offer clarification, the Minister said he neither circulated nor initiated any correction to the applicable rate of import duty; rather it was the agency responsible for the collection of the country’s taxes – the GRA.He said “importers who wish to contest the alloy content of the imported steel and the duties applied by the Customs Department could use the usual channels, including appeals to the Commissioner General, GRA and the Customs Tribunal.”