Food handlers’ gloves may not mean cleaner food

first_img They also say that food managers and workers prefer to use gloves because glove use is easier to monitor than handwashing is. However, “It has often been found that glove use provides a false sense of security because food handlers misuse gloves or neglect washing their hands when gloves are worn,” the article concludes. Overall, testing showed coliform bacteria on 6.5% (24 of 359) of samples for which data were complete. The coliform rate for samples prepared with gloved hands was 9.6%, versus 4.4% for samples handled without gloves. Though the sample was too small to show a significant difference, each of the two rates fell outside the other’s 95% confidence interval, which suggests that a true difference is not unlikely, the report says. Gloves were used on 93% of 172 samples collected in Kansas, where gloves are required by state law, but on only 5% of 191 samples collected in Oklahoma, where they are not, the report says. “Overall, the results of this study suggest that use of gloves by food handlers does not reduce bacterial contamination of foods and might even increase the risk of microbial contamination,” says the report by Robert A. Lynch and colleagues at the University of Oklahoma Department of Occupational and Environmental Health in Oklahoma City. Testing of flour tortillas bought at about 140 fast-food restaurants in Tulsa, Okla., and Wichita, Kan., showed that those handled by gloved workers were more than twice as likely to have coliform bacteria on them as were those handled by gloveless workers, the report says. However, the number of samples was not large enough to make the difference statistically significant. A finding of coliform bacteria (a general term for intestinal microbes) indicates that pathogenic bacteria could be present. The authors write that the higher coliform bacteria rate associated with gloves suggests that food workers were not using gloves properly. “We observed several instances in which previously used gloves were reused, and we never observed glove wearers changing gloves in the midst of food preparation,” they state. “Given the levels of surface bacteria that have been reported in food service settings, it is not surprising that organisms were transferred to the food that were tested.”center_img The researchers found low rates of contamination when they tested for particular bacterial species: 0.3% (1 of 371 samples) for Escherichia coli, 2.2% (8 of 371) for Staphylococcus aureus, and 0.5% (2 of 371) for Klebsiella species. The investigators did not actually count bacterial organisms, however. No potentially pathogenic microbes were found on the unopened tortilla samples. Lynch RA, Phillips ML, Elledge BL, et al. A preliminary evaluation of the effect of glove use by food handlers in fast food restaurants. J Food Prot 2005;68(1):187-90 [Abstract] The researchers collected 371 flour tortillas at restaurants from four fast-food chains in the two cities and tested them for bacteria. When ordering the food, the investigators observed whether or not the workers wore gloves, among other details. The researchers also collected 82 unopened packages of tortillas from the four chains and tested them to assess the background level of bacteria present before handling. Feb 7, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – The use of gloves by fast-food restaurant workers might be expected to result in cleaner food, but that isn’t necessarily the case, according to a recent study published in the Journal of Food Protection.last_img read more

See More

Indonesia reports new H5N1 death

first_imgAug 4, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – An official from Indonesia’s health ministry recently confirmed that a 19-year-old man died from an H5N1 avian influenza infection.Nyoman Kandun, director general of communicable diseases at the health ministry, said the man died last week in a hospital west of Jakarta, according to an Aug 2 report from the Associated Press (AP).The man, a cargo worker, died in Tangerang, a suburb of Jakarta, Xinhua, China’s state news agency, reported yesterday. If his death and another reported last month are confirmed by the World Health Organization (WHO), the man would be listed as Indonesia’s 137th H5N1 case and its 112th death.Media reports gave no details about the source of the man’s infection or whether his personal contacts have undergone medical evaluation.The confirmation of the man’s death by an Indonesian health official appears to deviate from the country’s recent policy of foregoing official announcement of H5N1 cases as they occur, opting instead for periodic updates. In early June, health minister Siti Fadilah Supari said the country would announce cases at longer intervals, perhaps as long as 6 months, according to previous reports.Though Indonesia’s stance appears to raise questions about its compliance with International Health Regulations, WHO officials have said its relationship with the country remains good and that the delay in reporting has not hampered the ability to conduct joint investigations into Indonesian H5N1 cases.Healthcare workers and family members alerted the media about Indonesia’s last H5N1 case, that of a 38-year-old man who reportedly died on Jul 10. However, a health ministry spokeswoman declined to confirm the case and said officials would release the information in an H5N1 case update at the end of July. No updates appear to have been posted on the government’s health ministry or avian influenza Web sites.Also, it’s not clear if Indonesia has notified the WHO about the two cases. The WHO has not yet confirmed the illness and death of either man, so for now the group still lists Indonesia’s case count as 135 cases and 110 deaths. Indonesia leads the world with the most H5N1 cases and fatalities.The WHO’s world H5N1 count stands at 385 human cases and 245 deaths.See also:Jun 5 CIDRAP News story “Indonesia quits offering prompt notice of H5N1 cases”last_img read more

See More

New Zealand could delay election after virus return

first_imgIn a statement, the legislature said that step “will no longer be held today” but could be done any time before Oct. 13, potentially pushing the election out by months.Health officials were also locking down aged care homes across the country because they could act as transmission hotspots.”I realize how incredibly difficult this will be for those who have loved ones in these facilities, but it’s the strongest way we can protect and look after them,” Ardern said.Director-general of health Ashley Bloomfield acknowledged the heartbreak of many Kiwis as they come to terms with the return of a virus many thought had been defeated.”I know the virus re-remerging in our community has caused alarm and the unknown is scary,” he said. “[But] we’ve been here before, we can get through it if we work together.”New Zealand had been held up by the World Health Organization as an example of how to contain the disease after recording only 22 deaths in a population of five million, and halting community transmission for more than three months.Ardern described the new cases as “unsettling” but said all efforts were being made to retrace the steps of the Auckland family of four who contracted it from an unknown source.Her center-left Labor Party has been riding high in opinion polls, largely on the back of its success containing the virus through a strict seven-week lockdown earlier this year.With campaigning temporarily halted by the latest virus scare, the conservative National Party said it was open to a delay if circumstances warranted.”It’s going to be very difficult to have an election in mid-September when we are now mid-August. It is very little time,” National leader Judith Collins told TV3.The initial lockdown is only for three days but University of Otago epidemiologist Amanda Kvalsvig said it could last much longer if the source of the infection was not found swiftly.”The aim is to return to alert level one [New Zealand’s lowest] and regain elimination status — but that won’t happen overnight,” she said.”Even after we stop seeing new cases it’ll take time and extensive testing to be sure the virus is once more under control.”The outbreak has already eroded some of the everyday freedoms New Zealanders had enjoyed, with Ardern urging Aucklanders to wear masks and restricting gatherings in the city to a maximum of 10 people.The final match of Super Rugby Aotearoa — which had been set to take place in front of a sold-out 43,000 crowd at Eden Park on Sunday — is also in doubt.The Auckland Blues said its players had been sent home to await advice on whether they can host the weekend’s blockbuster match against newly-crowned champions, the Canterbury Crusaders.Topics : Panic buying returned to supermarkets, huge queues formed at COVID-19 testing stations and face-masked police manned roadblocks on major roads to enforce the new measures. Ardern warned the Sept. 19 election may be have to be delayed if the outbreak could not be contained.”We’re seeking advice from the Electoral Commission, just so that we make sure we have all options open to us,” she said. “No decisions yet, as you can imagine, have been made.”New Zealand’s parliament had been due to be dissolved Wednesday, to allow the election to go ahead. New Zealand’s looming general election could be delayed, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern warned Wednesday, as the shock re-emergence of the coronavirus sent the country’s largest city into lockdown and forced nursing homes nationwide to shut their doors.Ardern said authorities were scrambling to trace anyone who had been in contact with four Auckland residents whose positive tests on Tuesday ended the country’s envied run of 102 days without community transmission.A three-day stay-at-home order for Auckland — a city of 1.5 million people — went into force at lunchtime on Wednesday, ending weeks of near normality, when thousands had flocked to restaurants and filled rugby stadiums.last_img read more

See More

LNP Bans Motorcyclists on Barnesville Junction, Estate

first_imgAnother act of mob violence – or vigilante justice, some call it – is compelling the Liberia National Police to take yet another drastic action against commercial motorcyclists as the fear of ‘ritualistic activity’ instigated the burning of a car that the LNP has said was innocent of the allegation. The incident took place last Friday in Barnesville when angry commercial motorcyclists claimed a woman had been kidnapped by a man in the community and as a result they attempted to lynch him. When they failed, they moved on his vehicle and set it ablaze. Now the LNP has announced temporary suspension of all motorcycles plying the routes between Barnesville Estate and Barnesville Junction, and has warned of drastic action against any violators. The Liberia National Police in a release yesterday said the decision is due to the continuous unruly and violent behavior of motorcyclists generally and particularly the incident on Friday, November 21 that resulted in the burning of the official vehicle of the Sinoe County Representative, Jeremiah McCauley. The motorcyclists chased and burned the vehicle on allegation that the operator was a “heartman” following a reported fuss between the operator and his fiancée, the LNP investigation said. The LNP said preliminary investigation has established that the vehicle was operated by the son of Representative McCauley and his fiancée when they were rescued by police assigned at the Johnsonville Police Depot. The motorcyclists threw stones at the depot and demanded officers on shift to turn the vehicle operator over to them before setting Representative McCauley’s vehicle ablaze. The police have arrested six persons in connection with the Friday night violence in Johnsonville. Police Inspector General, Col. C. Clarence Massaquoi, said the ban on the movement of the motorcyclists in the affected areas will remain in place until a comprehensive investigation is conducted. The LNP has meanwhile erected three checkpoints on the main road linking Barnesville Estate to Barnesville Junction to enforce this restriction. The brutal murder of a commercial motorcyclist recently in Ganta, Nimba County, caused violent response by motorcyclists that destroyed properties with a local businessman’s house and hotel being set ablaze. The riot caused the Liberian government to issue a ban on commercial motorcyclists who later issued an apology with promises that they would abide by the law, and avoid violence action in the future. With 2017 presidential elections looming and the number of deaths, particularly among civilians increased, officials have predicted violent responses whenever any death happens in the country.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

See More

It wasn’t me; it was the GRA – Finance Minister

first_imgRevised steel taxesThe Finance Ministry, under the hand of Finance Minister Winston Jordan, over the weekend attempted to rubbish an article, which pointed to an increase in the import taxes to be paid for the importation of steel, saying the decision was not initiated by himself, but rather the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) – the Government’s tax collection agency under his Ministry.Finance Minister Winston JordanJordan on Saturday – three days after Guyana Times carried a report – issued a public statement which said the Finance Ministry noted with absolute disgust a report in Guyana Times titled, “Govt hikes taxes on steel imports”, August 11, 2016.According to the article, as published by this newspaper, the Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee Irfaan Ali said, “Finance Minister Winston Jordan circulated on Wednesday a correspondence with [sic] brokers and other relevant stakeholders, indicating that the tariff (taxes) charged for the importation of steel into Guyana would be doubled, since it has been increased from five per cent to 10 per cent.”Jordan has since said the Finance Ministry “categorically rejects this accusation and wishes to make clear that the Minister of Finance, [Winston] Jordan, has not circulated any correspondence indicating any increase in tariffs for the importation of steel.”The Ministry said too it, “wishes to make clear that there has been no increase in the tariffs associated with the importation of steel.”In seeking to offer clarification, the Ministry has since indicated that it is the Quality Review Section of the GRA, responsible for examining customs declarations for valuation, classification and volume discrepancies, which identified anomalies in relation to the importation of alloy steel by several businesses in Guyana.According to the Finance Ministry, “After a review of the evidence presented, together with the Chapter Notes of the Common External Tariff (CET) and Explanatory Notes, it was determined that most of the Tariff Headings applicable to the type of steel commonly imported would attract a rate of import duty of 10 per cent, instead of five per cent.”Minister Jordan still contends however that, it is mindboggling that Ali could engage in such dishonesty which can only be interpreted as an attempt to create unfounded hysteria within the business community to score cheap political points and impugn the integrity of the Finance Minister.In his attempt to offer clarification, the Minister said he neither circulated nor initiated any correction to the applicable rate of import duty; rather it was the agency responsible for the collection of the country’s taxes – the GRA.He said “importers who wish to contest the alloy content of the imported steel and the duties applied by the Customs Department could use the usual channels, including appeals to the Commissioner General, GRA and the Customs Tribunal.”last_img read more

See More

New library for Khayelitsha

first_imgThe new Harare library boasts featuressuch as a gaming room, study hall andearly childhood development centre. Children up to six years of age are givena bright and cheerful environment inwhich to learn.(Image: Central Library, Cape Town) MEDIA CONTACTS • Nazeem Hardy  Library and Information Services   +27 21 400 3933 or +27 84 888 8408 RELATED ARTICLES • Soweto’s state-of-the-art library • Rhodes opens R75m library • SA peresent at Timbuktu unveiling • Poor schools score textbooks • BMX glory for Khayelitsha teenMark ReidThe cutting-edge Harare Library, which serves the Cape Town community of Khayelitsha, opened to the public in June. Response to the new facility, said the City of Cape Town’s Library and Information Services Department, has been enthusiastic and positive.Harare Library is just one component in the city management’s Violence Protection through Urban Upgrading (VPUU) plan, which is targeted at making Khayelitsha, one of Cape Town’s most poverty stricken areas, and a notorious crime hotspot, into a safe place for its residents.Currently budgeted at R120-million (US$18-million), the VPUU is funded by the City of Cape Town, in partnership with the German Federal Ministry for Economic Development and Cooperation and Development, and the German Development Bank.The programme is expected to take five years to complete, and will address issues such as lack of access to basic services, adequate schooling and economic opportunities, which are just a few of the factors that contribute to the instability of the area.The VPUU, which was implemented in 2005, aims to tackle crime and violence by providing better social and commercial services, strengthening community structures, and getting residents more involved in their suburb.The opening of the new library, which is designed to be eco-friendly with natural ventilation and efficient use of daylight, follows the creation of other public VPUU facilities in the suburb. These include two community buildings, a new park, and a school sports complex.A Carnegie Foundation grant made it possible to stock Harare Library with quality content, in both print and digital formats.Other exciting features of the library include a teen area with a giant chess board, a gaming room, free internet, and Wii consoles on which educational and fun activities can be enjoyed.In just four days, said a City statement, more than 2 400 people had passed through the doors of the Harare Library.Serving residents of all agesAt 1 800 square metres, Cape Town’s newest library is part of a multi-purpose centre that includes not only the library but also offices for community groups such as NGOs.The modern facility provides normal services such as access to books, magazines, DVDs and videos, but is unique among libraries in the city in that it also has a specialised early childhood development centre, a computer centre with more public access computers than anywhere else in Cape Town, a study hall and a number of meeting rooms.The early childhood development centre is known as Funda Udlale and caters for children up to the age of six. Toddlers are given access to books, soft toys, game facilities and educational computers, which allows them to learn specific skills and take part in role-playing.The facilities are also available to crèches and day care centres in the area, who are encouraged to bring their children into a bright and stimulating environment. Also on offer for the tots are an artificial grass playing area and a blackboard that covers an entire wall.last_img read more

See More