21 hours agoLiverpool make January transfer window call

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Liverpool make January transfer window callby Paul Vegas21 hours agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool expect to have a quiet January transfer window.The Reds have enjoyed a flying start to the new Premier League season, currently sitting six points clear of Manchester City having won eight of their nine matches so far.Liverpool are also on course to make the knockout stages of the Champions League having breezed past Genk with a 4-1 win on Wednesday night.With Jurgen Klopp’s side flying high, the Liverpool Echo says it’s unlikely the Merseyside giants will splash the cash when the transfer window reopens in the New Year.It’s claimed that it will take a ‘huge unforeseen struggle’ for Klopp to delve into the market. last_img read more

See More

Dennis Rodman Apologizes For Rant in North Korea

Photo by businessweek.comDennis Rodman, who made waves during a wild CNN interview this week from North Korea, apologized through publicist Jules Feiler in an email to the Associated Press.This came a day after he sang “Happy Birthday” to North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un at the start of an exhibition basketball game in Pyongyang on Wednesday.Rodman has been slammed for not using his access to Kim and his visits to the country to help free Kenneth Bae, a missionary in poor health who is being confined in North Korea for “anti-state” crimes. In an interview with CNN on Tuesday, Rodman implied that Bae was at fault.“I want to apologize,” Rodman said Thursday. “I take full responsibility for my actions. It had been a very stressful day. Some of my teammates were leaving because of pressure from their families and business associates. My dream of basketball diplomacy was quickly falling apart. I had been drinking. It’s not an excuse but by the time the interview happened I was upset. I was overwhelmed. It’s not an excuse, it’s just the truth.”Rodman said he wanted to apologize first to Bae’s family. “I’m very sorry. At this point I should know better than to make political statements. I’m truly sorry.”In the interview, Rodman was asked whether he would raise the issue of Bae during his visit.“Kenneth Bae did one thing,” Rodman said. “If you understand what Kenneth Bae did — do you understand what he did in this country?”Asked to explain, Rodman declined to respond.Bae, a Korean-American Christian missionary and tour operator based in China, has been detained for more than a year. North Korea sees missionary work as a threat to its authoritarian government.Bae’s sister, Terri Chung, said his family couldn’t believe what Rodman had said.“Here’s somebody who is in a position to do some good for Kenneth and refuses to do so,” Chung told KOMO Radio in Seattle on Wednesday. “And then after the fact, instead, he decides to hurl these unqualified accusations against Kenneth. It’s clear he has no idea what he’s talking about. I’m not sure who he’s talking to, where he’s getting his information, but he’s certainly no authority on Kenneth Bae.”The U.S. State Department distanced itself from Rodman and said it did not want to “dignify” his activities or comments in Pyongyang by commenting on them. But spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the department was open to speaking with Rodman on his return.“We have not reached out to him. We’ve said before, if he wants to reach out to us, we’re happy to hear from him and what he has to say,” she told reporters.Rodman dedicated the game to his “best friend” Kim, who along with his wife and other senior officials and their wives watched from a special seating area. The capacity crowd of about 14,000 at the Pyongyang Indoor Stadium clapped loudly as Rodman sang a verse from the birthday song and then bowed deeply to Kim, seated above him in the stands.Rodman said he was honored to be able to play the game in the North Korean capital and called the event “historic.” Some members of the U.S. Congress, the NBA and human rights groups, however, say he has become a public relations tool for North Korea’s government.The government’s poor human rights record and its threats to use nuclear weapons against South Korea and the United States have kept it a pariah state. Kim shocked the world in December by having his uncle, once considered his mentor, executed after being accused of a litany of crimes including corruption, womanizing, drug abuse and attempting to seize power.Rodman has refused to address those concerns while continuing to forge a relationship with Kim.Rodman is the highest-profile American to meet Kim, who inherited power after the death of his father in late 2011. Rodman has said he is not a statesman and instead is seeking only to build cultural connections with the North through basketball that may help improve relations between Pyongyang and Washington. read more

See More

Dolphins Suspend Don Jones For Tweet About Michael Sam

Miami Dolphins safety Don Jones tweeted “horrible” when Michael Sam became the first openly gay player to be drafted in NFL history, and it has cost him an undisclosed amount fine and suspension from the team until he “completes educational training” for his actions, according to the club.Sam, the former Missouri linebacker was selected by the St. Louis Rams, with the next-to-last pick in the draft. His reaction—including tears and a kiss from his male friend—was captured on television, prompting Jones to post on Twitter: “OMG. Horrible.”In the NFL, which is seeking to create a culture of sensitivity, Jones’ reaction was not welcomed, even if it represented many others’ views, too.“I want to apologize to Michael Sam for the inappropriate comments that I made last night on social media,” Jones said in a statement released by the team. “I take full responsibility for them and I regret that these tweets took away from his draft moment. I remember last year when I was drafted in the seventh round and all of the emotions and happiness I felt when I received the call that gave me an opportunity to play for an NFL team, and I wish him all the best in his NFL career. I sincerely apologize to Mr. Ross, my teammates, coaches, staff and fans for these tweets. I am committed to represent the values of the Miami Dolphins organization and appreciate the opportunity I have been given to do so going forward.”“We met with Don today about respect, discrimination and judgment, coach Joe Philbin said. “These comments are not consistent with the values and standards of our program. We will continue to emphasize and educate our players that these statements will not be tolerated.”Rams head coach Jeff Fisher told NFL Network soon after Sam was picked that he didn’t anticipate issues about his sexuality.“I don’t have any concern whatsoever. We drafted a good football player,” Fisher said. “I’m excited to get him on the practice field and get him going so yeah, there’s gonna be a little extra tension for a couple days, but Michael was the SEC co-defensive player of the year.”Sam had 11 1/2 sacks last season for Missouri. Many believe he would have been selected higher had he stayed essentially in the closet. NFL scouts, of course, likely would have learned he was gay after they began evaluating prospects after the season, since Sam was out to his college teammates — and there was a strong chance of him being outed against his will. read more

See More

Buckeyes move to 230 behind Sullingers 10th doubledouble

Michigan arrived in Columbus not the least bit intimidated by the No. 1-ranked, undefeated Ohio State men’s basketball team. The Wolverines stood toe-to-toe with the Buckeyes for most of the game Thursday night, but despite trailing at halftime, OSU showed exactly how it’s managed the second-best start in program history. “Ohio State is really good,” Wolverine coach John Beilein said. “There’s a reason they’re undefeated.” On the shoulders of freshman Jared Sullinger’s 10th double-double of the season, OSU (23-0, 10-0 Big Ten) bested unranked but feisty Michigan (13-10, 3-7 Big Ten), 62-53. Sullinger played all 40 minutes, scoring 19 points and grabbing 15 rebounds to lead the Buckeyes to victory. OSU jumped out to a quick lead, beginning the game with a 7-0 run, but the Wolverines were in no mood to let the Buckeyes blow them out early. A 3-pointer from junior guard Zack Novak tied the game at 14-14 with 11:39 to go in the first half. Four minutes later, a jumper from junior guard Stu Douglass gave the Wolverines their first lead, 20-19. The Buckeyes regained the lead, but back-to-back Michigan buckets to close the half put OSU down, 26-23, at the break. It was just the fourth time all season the Buckeyes have been trailing at halftime, and they entered the locker room with 10 turnovers and shooting just 36 percent from the field. “That’s not Ohio State basketball,” freshman point guard Aaron Craft said of the Buckeyes’ offensive struggles in the first 20 minutes. “That’s not what we’ve been doing all year to get us in the position we’re at.” A basket from redshirt freshman forward Jordan Morgan gave the Wolverines a 30-24 lead early in the second half, but two 3-pointers from junior guard William Buford tied the game, 30-30, and ignited the sellout crowd at the Schottenstein Center. With his first points of the game, senior forward David Lighty gave the Buckeyes a two-point lead with just less than 14 minutes remaining. The Wolverines quickly tied it, but a 7-0 Buckeye run, capped with a Lighty free throw, gave OSU a 44-36 lead with 9:37 to go. Again, however, Michigan answered. Back-to-back 3-pointers from freshmen Evan Smotrycz and Tim Hardaway Jr. cut the Buckeye lead to two. But Sullinger’s eight points over the next five minutes fueled a 10-3 OSU run that gave the Buckeyes a 54-45 lead, their largest of the game to that point, with less than three minutes remaining. “In the second half we took our intensity to another level,” Sullinger said. “We know it’s Michigan, and we know they’re going to give us their best shot. On top of that it’s a rivalry, so we just had to take it to another level.” After struggling through the first half, OSU shot 54 percent from the field in the second, and ended the game on an 18-9 run to earn the nine-point victory. Buford finished with 13 points, including three 3-pointers. Lighty and senior guard Jon Diebler added nine points apiece. The win, despite the seemingly comfortable margin of victory, was yet another game that perhaps could have gone either way down the stretch. The close games, Buford said, are simply what comes with a No. 1 ranking and will only help the Buckeyes in the long run. “We know every team is going to come after us,” Buford said. “We’re the No. 1 team in the country. They’re giving us their best shot, and we’re taking people’s best punches right now so when we get to the tournament we’ll be prepared.” OSU coach Thad Matta is happy as long as his team keeps winning, regardless of how close the games are. “It’s amazing, and I keep saying this just looking across college basketball,” Matta said. “There are great players, there are great coaches and to be sitting here today 23-0 and 10-0 in the Big Ten is something else.” The Buckeyes travel to Minneapolis to play No. 18 Minnesota at 2 p.m. Sunday. read more

See More

How Denis Suarez deal impacted Sven Mislintat exit – Sheth

first_imgEnglish side Arsenal are reportedly trying to speed up the transfer of Denis Suarez from Barcelona before the transfer window shuts, following the departure of Sven Mislintat.Mislintat is set to leave the club in February after he announced earlier in the week that he is exiting his role as the head of recruitment at the Gunners.“Totally involuntary!” Modric claims Suarez stamp an accident Andrew Smyth – August 18, 2019 The sent-off Luka Modric insists his stamp on Denis Suarez was an “accidental action” after becoming the first victim of La Liga’s new rules.The position is expected to be changed into a “director of football role or a technical director” role.The changes will be overseen by Arsenal’s director of football Raul Sanllehi and their chief executive Vinai Venkatesham, claims Dharmesh Sheth – host of Transfer Talk podcast.“I spoke about the restructure with Sanllehi and Venkatesham taking on the lead roles. “It seems the structure will take on what is described as a director of football role or a technical director,” Sheth was quoted by  Express. Sheth claims a factor in Mislintat leaving Arsenal was because he wasn’t being considered for the new position.last_img read more

See More

Hojbjerg speechless after Southampton defeat

first_imgThe Saints were defeated 2-1 by Cardiff City in the English Premier League, leaving them in the bottom three of the table.Southampton FC couldn’t defeat Cardiff City, and just two minutes after tying the match, they ended up losing 2-1 after Kenneth Zohore scored the winning goal for the Bluebirds in the last play of the game.After this result, Southampton is now in 18th place of the table, out of 20 teams, with only 24 points after 26 matches.They have won only five times, drawing nine, and losing 12 matches.And for Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, this defeated left him “speechless.”“I’m speechless. I don’t quite know the words to put in,” he told the club’s official website.“The only thing I can say that makes sense right now is that we, as a group, as a team and as a club, need these days to get together and analyze our small mistakes and details.”“Then we’re going to improve, do better, work harder and come back as a stronger side,” he added.Harry Maguire, Manchester UnitedLiverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.“They (the coaches) prepared everything for us, we just had to put it into play. We did all right and in some parts of the game we created what we had to.”“You have to give credit to Cardiff for keeping believing because in this case, you have to believe until the end,” he continued.“We’re going to work on what we have to work on and come back stronger – that’s what this club is about, that’s what the players are about and that’s what the coaches are about.”“We have a big potential, but we still have to put it into excellence. This is what we will work on,” the footballer concluded.Skipper Pierre-Emile Højbjerg says #SaintsFC must bounce back stronger after a painful #PL defeat to #CardiffCity:— Southampton FC (@SouthamptonFC) February 9, 2019last_img read more

See More

Bahamas DPM responds to Opposition statement on Moodys review

first_img#MagneticMediaNews#TurnquestRespondsToCoopersMoodyComments Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppcenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, July 13th 2017: Sheer amazement and disappointment, is how DPM and Finance Minister Peter Turnquest is describing the latest comments from the PLP camp on the Moody’s review. Turnquest in responding to the comments called it “the wrong statements at the wrong time”, and says there is a growth strategy in place, contrary to what the Exuma MP is saying. Chester Cooper released a statement on Tuesday, offering an olive branch to work with the current administration in bringing down debt levels, while offering words of advice on how to handle the current fiscal situation.Turnquest immediately discredited Cooper’s words, saying “these words have no place in the current debate on the Country’s fiscal challenges”. He went on to say it was no secret to both credit rating agencies, Standard and Poor’s and Moody’s, that the economy had been driven to the ground by the previous administration. The finance minister adds his administration was elected on a promise of transparency, and had a duty to come clean and not mislead the country, while undertaking the daunting task of putting in place the necessary reforms to stabilize public finances. Casting blame on the previous administration, Turnquest says “had they been more transparent, more honest and more responsible, the country would not have been facing these challenges”.last_img read more

See More

Scientists grow solar cell components in tobacco plants

first_imgScientists are working on synthesizing solar cells from chromophore structures they produced in tobacco plants. Image credit: US Department of Agriculture. © 2010 PhysOrg.com Scientists grow insulin in tobacco plants In a recent study, scientists from UC Berkeley led by Matt Francis have demonstrated how to program tobacco plants to take advantage of the efficient way that they collect sunlight. Rather than attempt to reprogram all the cells of a mature tobacco plant, the scientists genetically engineered a virus called the tobacco mosaic virus to do the job for them. The researchers sprayed the modified virus on a crop of tobacco plants, and the virus caused the plant cells to produce lots of artificial chromophores, which turn photons from sunlight into electrons.In order for the chromophores to work, however, they must be spaced at a precise distance from one another – about two or three nanometers. A little closer or further apart, and the electric current will either be halted or the electrons will be very difficult to harvest. Thankfully, tobacco plant cells have evolved to space chromophores at this exact distance, lining them up in a long spiral hundreds of nanometers long. By exploiting this structure, the researchers could take advantage of billions of years of evolution to grow perfectly spaced strands of chromophores. “Over billions of years, evolution has established exactly the right distances between chromophores to allow them to collect and use light from the sun with unparalleled efficiency,” said Francis.Since the modified tobacco plants themselves don’t generate electricity, the researchers must harvest the plants and extract the chromophore structures. Then, the scientists can dissolve the structures in a liquid solution, and then spray the solution on a glass or plastic substrate to create a solar cell. So far, the scientists have not yet demonstrated that the resulting solar cells can turn light into electrical energy.Compared with traditional solar cells, those made from plants could have several potential advantages. For instance, they don’t require the use of toxic chemicals, they’re biodegradable, and they’re inexpensive to produce. On the other hand, bio-based solar cells would likely have a shorter lifetime than silicon solar cells.In addition to using tobacco, the researchers also demonstrated how to manipulate E. coli bacteria to produce chromophore structures. In this case, the researchers didn’t use a virus, but modified the bacteria directly. More information: Michel T. Dedeo, Karl E. Duderstadt, James M. Berger and Matthew B. Francis. “Nanoscale Protein Assemblies from a Circular Permutant of the Tobacco Mosaic Virus.” Nano Lett., 2010, 10 (1), pp 181-186. doi:10.1021/nl9032395Via: Discovery News Citation: Scientists grow solar cell components in tobacco plants (2010, January 29) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2010-01-scientists-solar-cell-components-tobacco.html Explore further This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. (PhysOrg.com) — Over billions of years, plants have evolved very efficient sunlight-collecting systems. Now, scientists are trying to harness the finely tuned systems in tobacco plants in order to use them as the building blocks of solar cells. Scientists predict that the technique could lead to the production of inexpensive, biodegradable solar cells.last_img read more

See More