Milind Deora ignores Sanjay Nirupam’s jibes, says party bigger than individual

first_imgFaced with a barrage of criticism from his predecessor Sanjay Nirupam, former Mumbai Congress president Milind Deora turned the other cheek on Monday. ‘Unpleasant and unwarranted commentary’, he said, should be ignored. “A party and its ideals are bigger than an individual. Some unpleasant and unwarranted commentary from certain quarters should be ignored,” said Mr. Deora in a statement issued on Monday evening.Unpleasant scenes have accompanied Mr. Deora’s appointment as well as departure, with Mr. Nirupam criticising him over his idea to appoint a three-member committee to run the Mumbai Congress till the Assembly elections. “The idea to appoint a three-member committee to run Mumbai Congress in place of (a party) president is not at all appropriate. It will ruin the party further,” tweeted Mr Nirupam.He ridiculed Mr. Deora over his hints at undertaking an important responsibility at the national level. “Resignation (usually) comes with sacrifice. But here, a national-level position is being demanded. Is this a resignation or a ladder to climb? The party should be wary of such ‘devoted’ leaders,” he said.Mr. Deora, however, said he was humbled by the affection and support he received after his resignation, and asked party workers to keep up the good work. The Congress’s vote share in Mumbai rose by 5%, he said. It was proved in the Lok Sabha elections that party workers can work unitedly for all Mumbaikars and earnestly pursue their support to build an inclusive Mumbai, he said. “We have re-established Mumbai Congress as a party for all Mumbaikars and this is a great beginning to build on,” said the statement.last_img read more

See More

Damian Lillard Hit A SeriesEnding GameWinner For The Ages

With how lopsided many of these first-round NBA playoff series have been, it would have been understandable to want the Thunder-Blazers matchup to continue beyond Tuesday, both because of its star power and because of the sheer back-and-forth competitiveness it displayed.But if the series had to end quickly, at least it went out with a bang: with Damian Lillard finishing not only with 50 points, but also with one of the greatest, most cold-blooded buzzer-beaters in NBA history — perhaps the most difficult one to ever end a playoff series, all things considered.This wasn’t Lillard’s first game-winner to end a series. He hit a more conventional one, coming off a screen for a lightning-quick catch-and-shoot opportunity, to knock out the Houston Rockets in 2014.But with Tuesday’s dagger, the Portland star finished off former MVP Russell Westbrook and his Oklahoma City club, literally waving goodbye to the visiting Thunder after nailing a shot just to the right of the Blazers’ half-court logo, a full 37 feet away from the basket. A shot from that distance would be difficult enough to knock down wide-open, let alone with an All-NBA defender like 6-foot-9 Paul George contesting it.“That’s a bad shot, I don’t care what anybody says. That’s a bad shot,” a defiant George told reporters after Oklahoma City fell, 118-115, putting an end to the five-game gentleman’s sweep.But in a way, that’s what made it such a spectacular one. Lillard wanted to take that shot. He had more than 10 seconds to make something else happen — to drive to the hoop for a closer look, or to potentially call a teammate over for a screen to get more space — and chose not to. Instead, he opted to let the clock run down to the final two seconds, took a side-step to his right and let it fly from 37. Ballgame.And despite George’s proclamation, that Lillard’s game-winner was a “bad shot” that went down anyway, consider this: Lillard had been doing stuff like this all series long. In fact, the buzzer-beater made Lillard an unthinkable 9-of-15 for the series from 30 feet and beyond, according to Second Spectrum. It’s part of the reason Lillard has been the most valuable player this postseason thus far.We’ve been critical of the Blazers and their roster construction at times in the past. A team built mostly around Lillard and CJ McCollum seems flawed, both because of the tough shots the guards rely on (especially when playing longer-wing defenders like Jrue Holiday last year) and because of the duo’s shortcomings on D. There have been some redeeming qualities present in their teamwide defense — the Blazers have been elite for years at limiting quality looks on that end of the floor. Still, the club’s calculus figured to get a lot tougher without starting center Jusuf Nurkic, who somehow had avoided serious injury in the past but then succumbed to a season-ending one just weeks before the playoffs began. And it didn’t help that the club entered this postseason having lost 10 playoff games in a row.Yet if Lillard can play anywhere close to this level going forward, it requires at least a brief reevaluation of everything. He had 34 points in the first half alone on Tuesday and hit three of his four attempts from 30-plus feet, including the one that sent the Thunder packing.Lillard’s ability to sink those shots — paired with Oklahoma City’s surprise that he’d even have the audacity to try them in some cases — was one of the key reasons Portland ran away with the series 4-1. The Thunder allowed him too much cushion, largely because defenders haven’t adjusted to the realization that Lillard, with nearly limitless range on his off-dribble jumpers, has arguably become the closest thing we have to Golden State’s Stephen Curry.Curry, Lillard and Atlanta rookie Trae Young were the only three players in the NBA to take more than 40 3-point attempts from 30 feet and beyond this past regular season, according to Basketball-Reference.com’s Play Index. Curry shot an impressive 31.1 percent, while Lillard hit 30.6 percent of his tries from that distance. (Young, promisingly, made 34.6 percent of his.)After the game, Lillard told reporters that his trainer, Phil Beckner, had him work on longer-than-usual 3-point attempts — closer to half-court — while working out in Oklahoma City earlier in the series. “I’m telling you, you’re gonna hit one of these,” he recalled Beckner saying.And unfortunately for the Thunder, that one — which might have been a bad shot for just about anybody other than Lillard — was enough to end their season in the most brutal way possible. read more

See More

One killed after vehicle strikes concrete barrier on I15 in Mira Mesa

first_img Posted: February 4, 2018 One killed after vehicle strikes concrete barrier on I-15 in Mira Mesa Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter February 4, 2018 KUSI Newsroom SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — One person died after a car struck a concrete barrier on Interstate 15 near Mira Mesa Sunday.It happened in the southbound High Occupancy Vehicle lanes of I-15 just north of Mira Mesa Boulevard at about 3 p.m., the California Highway Patrol said.The driver reportedly was out of the vehicle, lying in lanes of traffic, and was taken to Scripps Memorial Hospital.It’s unclear if the victim died at the scene or at the hospital. There is no information so far if other vehicles were involved or if there were other people injured.The southbound HOV lanes were closed for the investigation. KUSI Newsroom, last_img read more

See More

ITC net profit rises 10 YoY to Rs 2500 crore for September

first_imgITC Limited or ITC, an Indian conglomerate known for its tobacco and FMCG products, reported 10.4 percent growth in net profit at Rs 2,500 crore for the September quarter. The company had reported net profit of Rs 2,262.50 crore for the corresponding quarter in the previous fiscal.Following the news, the ITC stock closed at Rs 238.90 on Wednesday, almost flat when compared with its previous day close on the Bombay Stock Exchange. At Rs 8,530 crore, the company’s volume increased 7.1 percent, up from Rs 7,963.10 crore recorded during the same quarter in the last financial year (2015-16), ITC said in a statement. ITC’s total income jumped to Rs 14,091.96 for the June-September quarter from Rs 13,003.86 crore for the quarter that ended on September 30, 2015.The company said in the statement: “Earnings per share for the quarter stood at Rs 2.07. Total comprehensive Income (TCI) for the quarter stood at Rs 2,474.84 crore representing a growth of 10.2 percent.”However, the company’s cigarette revenue in the quarter grew 7 percent to Rs 8,528 crore over Rs 7963 crore recorded in the year-ago period.The Kolkata-based conglomerate has diversified presence in FMCG, hotels, paperboards and packaging, agri-business and information technology. The ITC Group’s contribution to foreign exchange earnings over the last 10 years amounted to nearly US$6.8 billion, of which agri exports constituted 57 percent.last_img read more

See More

PM for chain of command in armed forces

first_imgPrime minister Sheikh Hasina joins President’s Guard Regiment’s 43rd founding anniversary function at Dhaka Cantonment on Thursday. Photo : BSSPrime minister Sheikh Hasina on Thursday laid importance on chain of command at all levels in the armed forces.She said that command channel in force is one of the main features of a disciplined force to perform its duties and achieve the desired goals.“Effective command channel plays an important role in resolving any action in the army. I believe that if you maintain respect and loyalty to the commanders at all levels, then it is possible to accomplish any work together with skill, discipline and morality,” she said.The prime minister made the observation while speaking at a function at Dhaka Cantonment on the occasion of President’s Guard Regiment’s 43rd founding anniversary.Sheikh Hasina said her government has set specific target to free the nation from hunger and poverty by 2020 when the nation would celebrate the birth centenary of the Father of the Nation.Along with overall national development, she said the present government is also working on the development of the Armed Forces. “The development of the Armed Forces has only been done during our time,” she said.On her arrival at the PGR headquarters, the prime minister was received by army chief general Aziz Ahmed and PGR commander brigadier general Md. Jahangir Harun. A smartly turned out guard presented state salute to the prime minister.The prime minister exchanged pleasantries with all officers and junior commissioned officers. She also met the relatives of the officials who died on duty and gave them gifts and donations.Prime minister’s security adviser major general (retd) Tarique Ahmed Siddique, navy chief admiral Nizamuddin Ahmed, air chief air marshal Masihuzzaman Serniabat, Armed Forces Division principal staff officer Lt general Md. Mahfuzur Rahman, defense secretary Akhter Hussain Bhuiyan, military secretary to the prime minister major general Mia Md. Zainul Abedin and PM’s press secretary Ihsanul Karim and senior military and civil officials were present.Focusing on the country’s development during the tenure of her government, the prime minister said the government is working amid many challenges. Referring to the false allegations of corruption by the World Bank, she said the government is constructing the Padma Bridge with its own resources.“As a recognition of development and progress, Bangladesh has already reached the developing world from the LDCs,” she said adding that the country has also entered a new era through launching of Bangabandhu Satellite into space.Sheikh Hasina praised the role of the army in constructing temporary shelter centers as well as taking responsibility for distributing relief materials among Rohingyas who fled their homes in Myanmar for the forced evictions. “Your hard work has made your image brighter at home and abroad,” she said.The prime minister extended her sincere greetings and congratulations to all members of the guards’ family on the occasion of its founding anniversary of the regiment.Sheikh Hasina said as the head of the government, she witnessed the regiment from very close and is impressed with their work, responsibility and devotion.“I know that you are specially selected and trained from Bangladesh Army for this regiment. I have faith and belief that you will always do your duty sincerely, in accordance with professionalism, loyalty and discipline,” she said.“Braving all adverse weather, night and day, your sincere duties are highly appreciated. It is my expectation that you will work honestly to keep this reputation,” she added.Sheikh Hasina said her government first introduced risk allowances for PGR, considering the risks of guards at work.She informed that  the President Guard Regiment was reconstructed and made stronger than before to increase its abilities.She said that in 2013, the President Guard Regiment was declared as a separate formation.The prime minister informed that the government has addressed the housing problem of the regiment by creating a barrack adjacent to Ganobhaban.“The construction of a 14-storied building for the Guards family is also underway in cantonment”, she said adding that she hopes the construction will be completed soon.Sheikh Hasina said she always prays to Allah for her security guards so that they always live well.last_img read more

See More

Mass graves of IS victims found in Iraq

first_imgIraqi forces search the site of a suspected mass grave containing the remains of victims of the Islamic State group, near the former al bakara military base in south west of Hawija. Photo: AFPMass graves containing at least 400 suspected Islamic State group victims have been found near the former jihadist bastion of Hawija in northern Iraq, the regional governor said Saturday.The string of grisly discoveries was made at a military base around three kilometres (two miles) from the city that the jihadists “turned into an execution ground”, said Kirkuk governor Rakan Said.“Not less than 400 people were executed,” he said, adding that some were clad in the uniform of prisoners condemned to death while others wore civilian clothing.IS was forced out of Hawija — 240 kilometres north of Baghdad-by Iraqi forces in October in a sweeping offensive that has seen the group lose the vast bulk of territory it seized in 2014.As government troops have advanced across Iraq they have uncovered dozens of mass graves holding hundreds of bodies in areas that fell under the jihadists’ brutal rule.The burial pits near Hawija were discovered “thanks to witness accounts from local residents” given to the Iraqi military, General Mortada al-Luwaibi said.Saad Abbas, a farmer from the area, told AFP that during the three years of IS control the group’s fighters could be seen “driving around in cars with their prisoners”.“They would shoot them and then throw them to the ground or burn their bodies,” Abbas said.last_img read more

See More

Trump criticizes war hero for not capturing bin Laden

first_imgIn this 21 August, 2014, file photo, Navy Adm. William McRaven addresses the Texas Board of Regents in Austin, Texas. President Donald Trump is drawing heavy critic. Photo: APUS president Donald Trump has ignited a firestorm of criticism and charges that he is politicizing the military by faulting a war hero for not capturing al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden sooner.Trump took shots at retired Adm. William McRaven in a weekend Fox News interview in which he also asserted that the former Navy SEAL and former commander of US Special Operations Command was a “backer” of Trump’s 2016 rival, Hillary Clinton, and supporter of president Barack Obama.”Disgusting,” the George W Bush administration’s White House counterterrorism adviser, Fran Townsend, wrote Monday on Twitter.Leon Panetta, who was CIA director during the bin Laden raid and later served as secretary of defence, said Trump owed an apology to McRaven and to all of those in the military and intelligence agencies who played a role in tracking down bin Laden and carrying out the risky raid into Pakistan. He called Trump’s remark “patently ridiculous.””It demonstrates a profound lack of understanding of how our military and intelligence agencies operate and undermines the president’s own standing as commander-in-chief,” Panetta said in a statement.The controversy follows a pattern of concerns raised by former senior military officers about Trump’s grasp of the military’s role. Some assert that his decision to send thousands of active-duty troops to the US-Mexico border shortly before the 6 November midterm elections was a political stunt.Trump also drew criticism for his decision not to visit Arlington National Cemetery on Veterans Day last week, following his trip to Europe. He said later he “should have” visited the cemetery but was too busy with official business.McRaven told CNN he is a fan both of George W Bush and Barack Obama, having served under them. “I admire all presidents, regardless of their political party, who uphold the dignity of the office and who use that office to bring the nation together in challenging times,” he said pointedly.McRaven previously had drawn widespread attention for lambasting Trump for repeatedly calling the news media the “enemy of the people.” McRaven had said the president’s words were “the greatest threat to democracy” in his lifetime. When this was raised in the Fox News interview, Trump lashed out at McRaven, who organized and executed the bin Laden raid in Pakistan in May 2011 as head of the secretive Joint Special Operation Command.”Wouldn’t it have been nice if we got Osama bin Laden a lot sooner than that, wouldn’t it have been nice?” Trump said.Asked whether military leaders were not due credit for having killed the al-Qaida leader, Trump said, “They took him down but – look, look, there’s news right there, he lived in Pakistan, we’re supporting Pakistan, we’re giving them $1.3 billion a year, which we don’t give them anymore, by the way, I ended it because they don’t do anything for us, they don’t do a damn thing for us.”last_img read more

See More

Abducted minor rescued prime accused in cop net

first_imgKolkata: A minor girl, who was abducted on June 13, was rescued on Thursday night.The prime accused of the case has been nabbed. According to the police, on June 15 evening, a woman identified as Archana Sardar of GE block in Salt Lake alleged that her 15-year-old daughter was kidnapped by some miscreants. Sardar alleged that on June 10 when she along with her husband left their home leaving their daughter and son behind some miscreants kidnapped the girl. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataAccording to the complaint filed by Sardar, she came to know from local residents that three miscreants identified as Rahul, Kalu and Biswa had abducted her daughter. On June 14, she went to Bidhannagar South police station and informed the matter to the police but did not lodge any complaint. While returning from the police station, when Sardar and her husband were thinking about what to do next, a person identified as Jamal allegedly threatened her and asked them to leave the place where they resided. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateOtherwise they will not see their daughter again. Sardar said she lived with her family on a plot. On June 15, Sardar again went to police station and lodged a complaint against the miscreants. Cops arrested the two persons named in the FIR identified as Rahul Mandal and Biswajit Ghosh alias Biswa. During the interrogation with the police the duo revealed about the hideout where Ali Hossain alias Kalu was staying. They also told the police where the abducted girl was kept. On Thursday night, the police raided an area in Salt Lake and arrested Kalu. The abducted girl was also rescued. It is suspected that the three arrested persons had some enmity with the victim girl’s family. Police are further investigating the case to find the truth.last_img read more

See More