Thursday’s QPR quiz

first_imgPlayer of the year and having been offered a new contract, Clint Hill is QPR’s man of the moment. But how much do you know about the Rangers defender? Find out by seeing how many of these five questions you can answer correctly.[wp-simple-survey-33]Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img

See More

Emirates trumpets world’s shortest A380 route

first_imgAn Emirates A380 AIRLINES often crow about having the world’s longest flights but Emirates is trumpeting its newest Airbus A380 destination as the world’s shortest for the superjumbo.The Dubai-based carrier will upgrade one of its nine daily flights between Dubai and Doha to an A380 service from December 1 on what is the 45th A380 route for the airline and the shortest for the aircraft at just over 235 miles (379kms)  each way.The airline justified using the long-range superjumbo on the short route by saying  demand for Doha had been steadily increasing to the point it had carried more than 700,000 passengers between the cities so far this year.“The upgrade to the A380 will provide Emirates the increased ability to serve growing demand for travel out of Doha,’’ it said. “The double-decker has also proved tremendously popular with customers, and the upcoming service in December will give travellers from Qatar the chance to experience Emirates’ award-winning A380 onboard product and service to Dubai and seamless A380 journeys to some of Emirates most popular destinations.’’The gulf carrier has timed the flights so that travellers will have connections of less than four hours to popular destinations such as London Heathrow, New York, Paris and Rome.The superjumbos on the route will be in a three-class configuration with 429 seats in economy, 76 flat-bed seats in business and 14 first-class suites. They will also come equipped with the airline’s renowned in-flight bar and entertainment system, althoughit willl be a choice between a quick drink or a short program on a flight lasting about an hour.Emirates is the world’s biggest operator of A380s with 85 in service and 57 on order and competes with Abu Dhabi-based Etihad and Doha-based Qatar. It recently upgraded its business class product and bar and is working on a new first class product.Emirates president Tim Clark, who says the aircraft works well for airline and is popular with customers, recently warned that the world would need more A380s to cope with capacity problems at airports.Read Sir Tim’s comments.Airbus announced earlier this year that it will more than halve production of the superjumbo from the current 2.5 per month to one a month because of lacklustre demand.But Airbus chief executive Tom Enders, speaking at an event to celebrate the manufacturer’s 10,000th aircraft delivery,  predicted there would still be a demand for the A380 “for many years to come”.last_img read more

See More

21 hours agoLiverpool make January transfer window call

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Liverpool make January transfer window callby Paul Vegas21 hours agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool expect to have a quiet January transfer window.The Reds have enjoyed a flying start to the new Premier League season, currently sitting six points clear of Manchester City having won eight of their nine matches so far.Liverpool are also on course to make the knockout stages of the Champions League having breezed past Genk with a 4-1 win on Wednesday night.With Jurgen Klopp’s side flying high, the Liverpool Echo says it’s unlikely the Merseyside giants will splash the cash when the transfer window reopens in the New Year.It’s claimed that it will take a ‘huge unforeseen struggle’ for Klopp to delve into the market. last_img read more

See More

Virginia Ports Authority Extends VIG Lease to 2065

first_imgzoom The Port of Virginia, one of major ports on the US East Coast, has signed a new, long-term lease for Virginia International Gateway (VIG) that clears the way for the port to begin work on doubling capacity at the deep-water container terminal.The new lease, which was negotiated during a two-year period, will give the port oversight of and operating rights at the terminal until 2065. Further, the lease allows the port to begin work on a USD 320 million project to build the terminal’s second phase, with the construction expected to begin this year.The lease is between the Virginia Ports Authority (VPA) and Virginia International Gateway Inc., which is owned by Alinda Capital Partners and Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS). The lease is scheduled to go into effect on November 1.“Within the existing footprint, we will have the capability and capacity to process a total of 1.2 million (container) lifts – 2 million TEUs — annually through VIG,” said Aubrey L. Layne, Virginia secretary of transportation. “The negotiation process was a collaborative effort with both the Alinda, USS team and the port making a significant investment in resources and time. Everyone worked together to reach this agreement knowing the long-term benefits to the port and throughout Virginia.”Presently, VIG is processing 600,000 container lifts annually. The terminal is served by eight ship-to-shore cranes and has on-dock rail with service provided by both CSX and Norfolk Southern. The expansion will take an estimated three years to complete and result in a longer berth, an expanded rail operation, an expanded container yard and four new ship-to-shore cranes.VIG is a privately owned marine container terminal located along the Elizabeth River in Portsmouth. The facility was commissioned in July 2007, and is the largest privately-owned container terminal in the United States. In July 2010, the VPA and VIG entered into a 20-year lease agreement under which the VPA is currently operating VIG.last_img read more

See More

2 dead 14 injured in 2vehicle crash on Alberta reserve after trick

first_imgSADDLE LAKE, Alta. – Two people have died and 14 people were injured when two vehicles on their way home from trick-or-treating crashed on a slippery road northeast of Edmonton.RCMP Cpl. Ron Bumbry says two vans — one with six people and the other with 10 people, collided about 8:30 p.m. Tuesday night on the Saddle Lake Cree Nation, about 165 kilometres northeast of Edmonton.Bumbry says a 42-year-old man and a 43-year-old woman, both of Saddle Lake, who were in the northbound van were pronounced dead at the scene.The other 14 — 10 of which were under the age of 18 and included a one-year-old and a two-year-old — were all taken to area hospitals with serious, non life-threatening injuries.Bumbry says people in both vehicles had been trick-or-treating in St. Paul, a town about 30 kilometres east of Saddle Lake, and were returning to their homes when the crash happened.He says it was snowing and roads were slippery at the time, but it’s too early to say if those were the cause of the crash.“It’s very tragic and our thoughts are with the family of the deceased and the community of Saddle Lake Cree Nation,” Bumbry said.Police are not releasing the names of the dead, nor their relationship.last_img read more

See More

Resource firm planning new NB wells if Tories lift fracking moratorium

first_imgFREDERICTON — A major player in natural gas development in New Brunswick is making plans for new wells if the province’s new Tory government follows through on a pledge to lift a moratorium on fracking.Corridor Resources currently has 32 producing wells in the Sussex area and operates a 50 kilometre pipeline, a gathering system comprising 15 kilometres of pipe, and a natural gas processing facility.The company wants to expand but the previous Liberal government imposed a moratorium in 2014 that prohibits hydraulic fracturing — a process that involves pumping water and chemicals at high pressure to fracture shale rock and release gas.The new Tory government has proposed lifting the moratorium in specific areas, like the Sussex region, if there is public support.In a corporate presentation the company says, if the moratorium is lifted, they would drill five vertical evaluation wells, complete three existing wells, identify “sweet spots,” and drill a second round of up to five horizontal wells.The company says with the impending end of Nova Scotia’s offshore production, natural gas will have to come from outside the Maritimes if the New Brunswick deposit is not further developed.The Canadian Presslast_img read more

See More

Hostile Husky takeover bid for MEG Energy now expected to succeed as

first_imgCompanies in this article: (TSX:HSE, TSX:MEG, TSX:IMO, TSX:SU, TSX:CVE, TSX:CNQ)The Canadian Press CALGARY — A CIBC oil and gas analyst says the recent deterioration in crude oil prices makes it unlikely that a better offer will emerge to force Husky Energy Inc. to sweeten its hostile takeover bid for an oilsands rival.Husky reported Tuesday that it had received all necessary regulatory approvals for the takeover of MEG Energy Corp. and is now waiting for shareholders’ response to its offer which expires in mid-January.Analyst Jon Morrison says in a research report that Investment Canada approval of the proposed deal could at one time have prompted the emergence of a rival bidder — and a higher bid — for MEG, but the weakening macro oil economy of the past couple of months makes it unlikely now.He says he doesn’t expect any of the four most likely competing bidders — Imperial Oil Ltd., Suncor Energy Inc., Cenovus Energy Inc. and Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. — to make a bid.CIBC moved its price target for MEG down from $9.50 to $8.30 per share, with the new target matching the current Husky cash-and-shares offer.The takeover was worth about $3.3 billion when proposed in September but has fallen to about $2.5 billion because of deterioration in Husky’s share price.“While we held the view earlier in the year that there was the potential for Husky to modestly bump the bid to get the deal across the line, given the weakening macro market over the last couple months we no longer believe that to be the case,” said Morrison in his report.last_img read more

See More

Crews working to extinguish forest fire near the Site C Dam

first_imgThe smoke covering Fort St. John is coming from the fire that is currently uncontrolled.If the current fire suppression doesn’t work, more crews will be brought in to fight the fire Thursday.There is another fire northwest of Fort St. John, that is approximately 100 hectares in size.  The fire isn’t creating a lot of smoke today and crews are working to put out that fire.If you have any information about forest fires in our region, email news@moosefm.ca.  You can also send along any pictures or video as well. UPDATE as of 5:45 p.m. – B.C. Hydro has confirmed the fire is located approximately 3.5km upstream from the Site C Dam project.  At this time there is no concern for the workers on site or the worker accommodation.  Hydro and the B.C. Wildfire Service are monitoring the situation and their first priority is the safety of workers on site and the public.  Hydro was burning waste wood debris on Friday and Saturday near Tea Island.  The cause of Wednesday’s fire is unknown at this time.FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Crews from the Forest Fire Service and B.C. Hydro are working to contain a fire near the Site C Dam.The fire broke out on Wednesday and is approximately 4 hectares in size.  Crews from the Forest Service and B.C. Hydro are working to contain the fire and B.C. Hydro has hired a helicopter to help with the suppression efforts.last_img read more

See More

Northeast BC unemployment rate increased in January 2019

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The unemployment rate in Northeast B.C. saw an increase in January.The unemployment rate in January was 5.5 percent compared to 4.7 percent in December of 2018.January has been the highest recorded unemployment percentage since September 2018 at 5.6 percent, an estimated 39,900 people are employed in a labour force of 42,100. A recent statement made by Bruce Ralston, Minister of Jobs, Trade and Technology, on the release of the January Labour Force Survey from Statistics Canada;“As demonstrated in the newest results, higher wages, low unemployment and good jobs in British Columbia show that people are at the centre of our strong and stable economy.Wages continued to rise in January, with B.C. among the top provinces for year-over-year growth. In the past year, B.C.’s average wages grew by 4.1%, the highest among provinces. In fact, 2018 was B.C.’s highest annual wage growth in the past 10 years.B.C.’s unemployment rate remained the lowest in Canada — for the 17th month in a row — at 4.7%. Private sector jobs have been fuelling employment growth in the province, with an increase of 64,800 in the past year.This means people continue to see the benefit of a high-performing economy following many years of wage stagnation.”B.C.’s economy is expected to outperform the rest of Canada over the next three years. The Economic Forecast Council, a group of bank economists and analysts that are independent of government, estimates that B.C.’s real gross domestic product is expected to grow by 2.6% in both 2019 and 2020. “We’re working hard to nurture a sustainable economy that works for people.”last_img read more

See More