NAOMH CONAILL DO THE DOUBLE TO WIN DONEGAL GAELTACHT CHAMPIONSHIPS

first_imgGAA NEWS: Naomh Conaill GAA club had a very successful Donegal Gaeltacht Championship with both their Men’s Senior side and Ladies Senior team victorious at the competition which was held in Ardara over the weekend.Naomh Conaill defeated hosts Ardara on Sunday and put Gaoth Dobhair to the sword on Bank Holiday Monday.The sides were level at half-time but a superb second-half display from Martin Regan’s side saw them win convincingly in the end. Final score Naomh Conaill 0-21 Gaoth Dobhair 1-06.Earlier in the afternoon, Naomh Conaill ladies defeated Ardara to ensure it was a great day for the Naomh Conaill club.Final score Naomh Conaill 3-07 Ardara 0-07NAOMH CONAILL DO THE DOUBLE TO WIN DONEGAL GAELTACHT CHAMPIONSHIPS was last modified: May 5th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GAANaomh ConaillnewsSportlast_img read more

See More

Ramelton mast concerns heighten after planning application is lodged

first_imgThe planning process has formally started for the erection of a controversial 30metre telecoms mast in Drumonaghan Wood in Ramelton.But some local residents are fearful about the proposals due to a ‘lack of transparency’ on the impact the mast may have on the locality.Cignal Infrastructure Ltd formally lodged the planning application with Donegal County Council on Friday to seek permission to erect a new 30m multi-user telecommunications support structure. The mast would be located within a security compound in the woods and surrounded by a 2.4m high palisade fence. It comes as independent company Cignal last year revealed that they are investing €25M into building telecoms infrastructure in Ireland to improve broadband and mobile coverage blackspots in rural areas.Cllr Ian McGarvey attempted to bring an emergency motion to the Letterkenny-Milford District meeting yesterday to discuss the proposed mast in Ramelton.However, he was told that the motion could not be discussed.“The motion is in relation to a current planning application that is before the council,” said Liam Ward, Director of Services. “Any discussion could be determined prejudicial to the consideration of the planning application and should not happen.”An online petition is also underway calling on the council to oppose the development.The public has five weeks to make written submissions on the application to the planning authority.Ramelton mast concerns heighten after planning application is lodged was last modified: September 17th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

See More

US risk manager grows African presence

first_img5 January 2012Marsh, a wholly-owned local unit of US-based insurance and risk management group Marsh & McLennan, has completed its acquisition of the brokerage business of South African insurer Alexander Forbes, significantly expanding its presence in sub-Saharan Africa.Marsh said in a statement on Wednesday that the transaction comprises its South African insurance broking operations, Alexander Forbes Risk Services and related ancillary operations, as well as Alexander Forbes’ insurance broking operations in Botswana and Namibia.It had also agreed to acquire other Alexander Forbes risk operations across sub-Saharan Africa – in Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Uganda and Zambia – subject to regulatory and other approvals. These transactions were expected to close “in the first quarter of 2012”, the company said.Alexander Forbes CEO Edward Kieswetter told Business Day that the whole transaction, once finalised, would be valued at between R1-billion and R1.1-billion.Expanding presence in sub-Saharan Africa“This transaction gives Marsh a leading market position in South Africa and significantly expands its presence in some of the most vibrant economies in the sub-Saharan region,” the company said.“In particular, it greatly enhances Marsh’s position in Africa’s major business sectors, including mining and minerals, power, telecommunications, transport and construction. It also extends Marsh’s reach into the dynamic middle market.”David Batchelor, president of Marsh’s international division, said the combination of Alexander Forbes’ “well-established South African operations, its regional network and respected team, together with Marsh’s existing South African business, global solutions, resources and placement skills, will bring dramatically enhanced benefits to all our clients.Ambition to become ‘pan-African leader’“Companies in the rapidly-developing African region are increasingly looking for insurance brokers and risk advisers that can help them both protect their vital assets and grow,” Batchelor said. “This transaction, which is driven by our growth ambitions to be a pan-African leader, gives us a powerful platform to meet these expectations.”Jurie Erwee, newly appointed CEO of the combined enterprise, now called Marsh Africa, said: “Together, as we unite our growth ambitions to become the continent’s pre-eminent broker and risk adviser, we are committed to bringing the world’s best to Africa.”On closing the transaction, Marsh retained its level 3 status in its black economic empowerment (BEE) scorecard rating.“Through focused investment and support, Marsh has made significant achievements in its levels of black economic empowerment,” Erwee said. “The combined Marsh entity will remain strongly committed to continuous improvement in its BEE performance levels.”SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

See More

Comrades entry deadline reached

first_img29 November 2013Entries for the 2014 Comrades Marathon will close at the end of business on Friday, a day earlier than had been planned because the cap of 18 000 runners has been reached ahead of schedule.In recent years the cap has been implemented for logistical and organisational purposes; the race has been oversubscribed since 2009.Online and in-house entries at the Comrades Marathon offices in Pietermaritzburg will close at 16:30 on Friday. However, Comrades Marathon Association (CMA) General Manager Chris Bruwer said: “We will still accept postal entries, but they must be postmarked by the Post Office with [the] date of 29 November 2013. Entries made after this date will be rejected.”Heightened interestSince a massive entry in 2010, when the Guinness World Records recognised the Comrades Marathon as the biggest ultra-marathon in the world, and the event was named the winner of the Virgin Active Sport Industry Awards for South Africa’s “Best Sport Participation Event”, there has been a heightened interest in the race, which was first run in 1921.The 2010 race, which benefited from the excitement surrounding the 2010 Fifa World Cup, had 23 568 entries, with 14 343 runners finishing before the 12-hour cut-off time.The iconic road running race enjoys recognition as Africa’s oldest marathon and ultra-marathon at the Association of International Marathons and Distance Races (AIMS).2014 raceNext year’s event will be the 89th running of the Comrades Marathon. It was only during the Second World War, in the years from 1941 to 1945, that it was not held.Pietermaritzburg will host the start of next year’s Comrades Marathon on Sunday, 1 June. Competitors are allowed up to 12 hours to reach the finish in Durban.The defending men’s champion will be South African Claude Moshiywa, while Elena Nurgalieva, the defending women’s champion, will have an opportunity to match Bruce Fordyce’s nine wins in the race.SAinfo reporter and Comrades Marathonlast_img read more

See More

Boondocks USA Travel Bug Motel (GC3PMCM) — Geocache of the Week

first_imgShare with your Friends:More Geocache Name:Boondocks USA Travel Bug Motel (GC3PMCM) by biss65Location:Iowa, United StatesN 42° 28.281 W 093° 33.847Difficulty/Terrain Rating:D1 / T1.5Why this is Geocache of the Week:Last week we featured a clever gadgety Travel Bug Motel cache. This Geocache of the Week is also a Travel Bug Motel, and while the cache itself is plain—spoiler alert, it’s an ammo can—you’ll probably be grinning wildly by the time you reach it. It’s a Travel Bug Motel in more ways than one.That’s right, folks. The cache is tucked inside a cherry red VW Bug which, depending on the season and the whims of the property owner, alternately has flowers, tall grasses, or various other living things sticking out from its roof. (Speaking of the property owner: permission was granted for the placement of the cache!)What geocachers have to say:“A day off of work in the area and this cache made the list. another great cache nearby. what a cool ideal, hope they don’t try to move it. Gets a favorite point from us. TFTC.” –2CraziesMSN“This was another must do cache on this trip. psychoVW loves cars, especially Volkswagens, and especially Beetles, and especially abandoned cars. This one had everything! She slugged me, as usual, when we drove past this on the way to another cache. When we arrived here, Paycho guessed where the cache was and made the find. Nice camo! We took some pics, and I dropped off the VW Beetle trackable I had picked up that I had been saving specifically for this cache.” –Darth Leviosa“On our way to geocoin fest and this one popped up on our favorites filter. Very interesting area. Looks like somewhere out of a Hunter S Thompson novel. Picked up a couple trackables to take with us and dropped one off. Favorite point for taking us to the Boondocks.” –DublinMN“GZ produced a big bug, but I did not squash it! thanks for the swag … TFTC!” –November GhostPhotos: SharePrint RelatedSea Shells – TB Stop & Go GCNWBC GEOCACHE OF THE WEEK – February 6, 2012February 6, 2012In “Community”The Director’s Travel Bug Hotel (GC3MFAD) — Geocache of the WeekOctober 15, 2015In “Geocache of the Week”It’s Bigger on the Inside! — Who?: Regeneration (GC5ZFGA) — Geocache of the WeekJanuary 7, 2016In “Community”center_img Continue to explore some of the coolest caches around the world. Check out all of the Geocaches of the Week on the Geocaching blog. If you would like to nominate a Geocache of the Week, fill out this form.last_img read more

See More

CWG scam: CAG indicts Delhi health department

first_imgThe Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) has found irregularities in procurement of medical equipment for the Games.The Commonwealth Games, hosted in the city last year, has come to be associated with a raft of scams. Here’s another.The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) has found irregularities in procurement of medical equipment for the Games, causing loss of crores of rupees to the government exchequer.A CAG report states that the authorities concerned bought the equipment much above the market rates while beds and equipment at some designated hospitals were supplied only after the event got over.The authorities even issued fake work certificates for procuring items. The state-run GB Pant Hospital was designated for definitive care of accredited personnel along with AIIMS and RML Hospital. At GBP, a turnkey project for establishing an emergency block was approved by the government. The purchase committee approved the bid of M/ s Adison Equipment, which agreed to complete the supply, installation and commissioning of the system by August 20, 2010 at a cost of around Rs 5crore.According to the report, a review of expenditure revealed that a false work certificate was signed by a group of doctors on November 19 showing that the project was completed on September 6.”Installation of the turnkey project was possible in November after one month of the CWG. Whereas, this block was specially meant for the Games and the ground floor of the EDP building was specially modified for this purpose. The expenditure of Rs 5.15 crore thus proved unfruitful,” the report states. The report mentions that the hospital’s medical superintendent denied this and said the project was utilised fully for the CWG. Delhi BJP president Vijender Gupta on Tuesday said chief minister Sheila Dikshit was responsible for this scam and should immediately resign.advertisement”There should be a proper investigation and all officials, including the CM, should be booked,” he added.Gupta said the CAG’s findings vindicated earlier claims that there was a huge scam in the whole exercise of improving health facilities ahead of the CWG by the Delhi government.The CAG report says lack of proper planning resulted in non-utilisation of budget.The decision to hold the Games in Delhi was taken in 2003 and the Directorate of Health Services (DHS) was entrusted with the responsibility of providing health services.The budget was allotted from 2006-07 but the final action plan could be finalised only in September 2009. The percentage of utilisation of the allotted budget was 0.1 to 8.5 during 2006-10 and hundred per cent during 2010- 11, the overall utilisation being 33.44 per cent.Delays were a common feature of Games-related projects. Health- related projects were no exception. The report says that although there was enough time to make purchases and call for open tenders, the DHS and hospitals made purchases worth Rs 6.02crore without inviting tenders. In its reply, the DHS attributed this to paucity of time.WHAT THE CAG FOUND – 68 ice- machines for treating sports injuries bought at inflated costs, leading to a Rs 23lakh loss- 11 firms failed to deliver medical equipment worth ` 4lakh- Directorate of Health Services and Lok Nayak Hospital bought equipment worth more than Rs 6crore without inviting open tenders- Director of health services waited till the end so that he could justify purchases without tender- Most equipment came after the Games were over- A Rs 5 crore emergency block for sportspersons at Govind Ballabh Pant Hospital completed a month after Gameslast_img
See More